Connect router to router and be able to see all the computers in network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Network Description:
5 computers are connected to Linksys router (192.168.1.1).
the Linksys router is connected to the internet.

NetGear router is connected to the Linksys router (192.168.0.1).
2 computers are connected to NetGear router.
These 2 computers are able to surf the Internet but I can't see the other computers in network through them...

How should I configure the NetGear router to be able to see the other computers in the network

BTW: all the computers configured to WORKGROUP

Thanks

If your connecting two routers/hubs/switches through their uplink ports you will need a crossover cable, not the standard straight cable.

#Curtis said:
If your connecting two routers/hubs/switches through their uplink ports you will need a crossover cable, not the standard straight cable.
not true from my experiance
make 2nd router gateway give it a number 192.168.1.125 or like, disable dhcp
make sure all default gateway on nic's point to 192.168.1.1
or try reversing the ip numbers of the 2 routers
you may need to use mask 255.255.0.0 for 192.168.0.1

If the Linksys (that connected to the router) has the ip 192.168.1.1 and let's say that I disabled the DHCP in the second router. What should be an ok ip to configure the second router?

BTW
Thanks for the quick reply I'm glad I joined to this forum.
I'll try that and will update what happend...

give it a number 192.168.1.125 or like
use a high number that way you should never have ip conflicts
can go to 255

Thanks,

I didn't have the chance to try this but when I do so I'll let you know, and I got a similar answer from the router tech support ;)

Thanks again

For Windows networking shares to appear automatically, you are required to be on the same subnet.

Your linksys router is using a different IP address range than your netgear router.

You should disable your netgear's ability to be a DHCP server and assign it an IP address lke 192.168.1.2 so you know where to access it in the future. Any unavailable IP will do.

help connecting 2 routers

Hi All,

i recently got a router (netgear dg834gt) from sky broadband.,,,, and i previously own a router (netgear dg834pn).
i was told i cant use my own router (dg834pn) to connect to the net!

so they said i can connect both router together but i dont know how?

both routers set to dchp settings i think,
what sort of cable is required? cross over or straight cable?

also both of them have the same IP add

so how i go about this?

==i want the router Dg834Gt connected to the internet and my personal own router dg834pn to be connected to the new router dg834gt.
i want my family pc connecte to my router, AND two wireless laptop to connect to my router.

any help would be much appreciated.

heres my email: punish9200@hotmail.com

thanks

Welcome to Tech Spot

If the first one is the wired router that will be your DHCP. The second Router will be your Wireless Access point and won't be using a DHCP. Just use the default gateway IP address for the wired router and insert that into the wireless router, then give the second router a static IP address is where you create one for it.

hi,

both my routers are wireless routers/4 port switch/ access point...

but i want on to be nothing but dchp and the other one to be wirelss access point and ethernet

thanks

Here's a tip:

Instead of having 2x routers within a LAN, use 1x Router and 1x Switch. The you don't have to worry about NAT rules :grinthumb

Biggest differences between a router and a switch? A switch doesn't have a WAN port and doesn't require an IP address. Makes life within the LAN so much easier!

hi

do u know how to change them settings in netgear dg834pn and dg834gt

thanks

im kinda new at this network thing...
and what sort of cable required to connect them

thanks

try this post for some information.

Rick said:
For Windows networking shares to appear automatically, you are required to be on the same subnet.
this may be true (re: appear automatically), but mapping the drive will still work if file sharing is setup correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back