Connect wireless router to 3801HGV gateway

I just switched ISPs and now have a Pace 3801HGV gateway (TV & internet) which I've connected to a Cisco/Linksys E2000 wireless router. I have the cable plugged into one of the gateway's 4 ports and the other end into the WAN/internet port of the wireless router. I find that I lose the internet access periodically and need to "reboot" my E2000 to restore internet access. Why is this occurring and how can I rectify this? I did not have this problem when I had my cable modem plugged into the E2000. (I want to keep my network setup from the E2000 to my wired and wireless computers so don't want to use the wireless built into the gateway.) I'm relatively new to this so please let me know what settings to make on the gateway, etc. I'm able to access the configuration menu on the gateway but not sure what to change. Thanks very much for any help.

-G

Linksys E2000 wireless router
That's a dual-mode capable device (5ghz/2.4ghz)
and the comments are
  • # Pros:
    Very fast setup. Great 5 GHz throughput. Decent 2.4-GHz throughput. Simple setup great for newbies.
  • #Cons
    Some performance degradation with use. Throughput drops off quickly with distance
  • ## Bottom Line
    This router's best assets are its ease of setup and throughput at the 5 GHz band. It's best for those wanting to cover smaller spaces, however, as its long-distance performance isn't stellar.
Pace 3801HGV
that's a B/G mode device with user controlled RF Power settings
  • HyperG Wireless Functionality
  • 802.11g wireless access point, backwards compatible with 802.11b
  • 10 power settings available through gateway user interface,
    up to 400mW, for both 802.11b and 802.11g, configurable via CMS
  • WEP64, 128, WPA, 802.1x
  • Multi-SSID
With two WiFi devices, they will interfer with each other on the G-Mode which is
common between your devices and the most likely the mode your systems are using.

Here are your choices
  1. Move all your systems to the N-Mode 5gz, but only if they all can support N-Mode.
  2. Disable the Pace 3801HGV WiFi portion and you should be able to leave all the systems as-as

no internet

The problem I'm having is when I connect my wireless router's WAN (internet) port to one of the 4 lan ports on the gateway, I get no internet connection on the computers connected to the wireless router's lan ports (or wireless for that matter). But, if I connect the computers directly to the gateway's lan ports, the internet works. For whatever reason, the gateway's lan ports are not feeding the internet to my wireless router's internet port. Is there some setting I need to change? (The reason I want to use MY wireless router instead of the gateway's wireless is because the gateway only has wireless G max; my wireless router supports wireless-N.)

Thanks for any help!

Your current setup requires that you configure the default gateway of [WAN Interface]E2000 to the LAN IP of 3801HGV.

Or

Try setting up like this.
ISP ---- [WAN PORT]{Pace 3801HGV gateway}[LAN PORT] --(crossover cable)--- [LAN PORT]E2000
Disable DHCP server on E2000 and configure it to have a static IP. Most modern routers detects what cable type is used and auto configure itself so crossover/straight through cable could work.

Garfy:

Is your ISP AT&T?

The default settings for the 3801 HGV are:
DHCP IP Range: 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.99
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.254

What are the settings from your E2000? We have seen issues (personally and at work) when the router connected to the 3801 has the same DHCP settings (IP Range and Subnet) as the 3801. What we typically do to resolve the issue is to assign a new IP range in the router. In past conversations with AT&T, they recommended that the connected router have the following settings:

IP Range: 10.0.0.2 - 10.0.0.99
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 10.0.0.1

After you change the IP settings in your router you will need to reboot all of the connected computers.

CAUTION:
WHILE IT IS POSSIBLE TO MODIFY THE IP SETTINGS OF THE 3801 TO CLEAR THIS CONFLICT, IT IS NOT RECOMMENDED BECAUSE IT CAN STOP YOUR TV AND PHONE SERVICES FROM WORKING IF THE SETTINGS ARE NOT CORRECT.

Why don't you allow the 3801 do the routing by DCHP and plug your CAT5 from port 1-4 on the 3801 into port 1-4 on the E2000 and then convert the E2000 from a router into an AP, so it's really only providing you wireless access point and the 3801 is doing all the rest of the work.

Back