Connected but losing internet access on wireless router connected to dorm room

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay I live in the dorms in college.(well actually they are not the dorms but overflow apartments because the dorms were full, not sure if it matters but thought i should add) I brought my wireless netgear router with me to school to plug my Ps3 into and to download certain things the school blocks on the regular wireless internet.

So I plug my router into the jack in the room and then run wireless to my laptop and wired to my Ps3. I set up the router and it determined the internet connection is DHCP . I set the router to obtain I.P. and DNS addresses dynamically and it won't work. then i set it to use static addresses. ( the address that it picked up dynamically ) It then works for awhile, sometimes a few hours and sometimes less than an hour. To get it to work again all I have to do is set it back to dynamic wait a couple minutes and move it back to static. When I lose connection my playstation says its a DNS error.

my roommate plugs his laptop directly into the jack on the wall because he doesn't have a wireless card and he hasn't said anything about losing his connection. But once i plugged him into the router he loses his connection just like me.

I am sure i am forgetting something important if anymore info is needed I will add. Please help it is really getting annoying changing the setting on the router

Yes it does. My roommate plugs his laptop directly into the port on the wall and it stays active and before I brought the router I just connect to the schools wifi

UPDATE

Just now I noticed another wireless router near me. It is another Netgear it was unsecured and I checked to see if they changed the username or password even ....just for the sake of looking at its settings.. of course... they hadn't changed it so a simple

admin
password

Its setting were set to dynamic for both ip and DNS. One thing I noticed different was the router mac address was set to default mac address. Mine is set to use computer mac address. I changed my router to the exact same as the other Netgear. NO LUCK. I changed it to static and it worked. I left it set to use the default mac and, maybe...possibly that will do it and I can leave it on static and it won't go down shortly. If not I really need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back