Connecting 2 Routers....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,

As a newbie to the wonderful world of networking, I thought that I would get some advice before beginning this little adventure.

I have a Linksys WRT54G in an existing upstairs office, there is one computer connected to it. I have another home office downstairs on the other end of the house. When I first moved my office downstairs, I just ran a Cat 5e from downstairs to the existing WRT54G router upstairs.

That was fine then, this is now!

I now need to add two additional computers downstairs (hardwired) and utilize the wireless portion of my new router. (It is closer to the wireless devices that are using it and the new one is faster!). My room mate has provided a Netgear WNDR3300 for the downstairs office.

I would like to physically connect the Netgear to the Linksys with my existiong cat 5e cable and enable the Netgear to be used as a wireless access point.

1. Is this hard? (can a newbie do it and not kick his wife off the internet for a week while he figures it out?)

2. How EXACTLY would I do this?

Thank you in advance for any and all help...

Not difficult. Just read up on the manual for each one, on My Networks in Windows, and a bit online. Like a lot of things, it is easy once you know how. There will be some money involved for the best setup... but you have what you need... assumin the building does not block some of the signal.

2: You would "exactly" use the search feature of our forums to find the dozens of other threads with people wanting to the the exact same thing

Thanks

Raybay, Thank you very much for your advice. I have been readingthrough this site, and others, and it seems pretty straight forward, just a lil insecure.

Nodsu, thanks for your response, I don't know what I would do without such well thought out, insightful advice from such a trustworthy and venerable member such as yourself.

Of course, all the threads I read were a year or two old, which I have always found to be a lifetime in the computer world, but I am sure you know best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back