Connecting a modem router to an existing LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

coastymad

Hello, my existing router (an old netgear WGT624) has just about died (keep on dropping connection and creashing) so I am looking to buy a new one. I am currently at university living in student halls and I use the router to connect my computer, x360 and psp to the internet.
The router connects to the internet directly through an ethernet port and not over a phone line.
As I will be renting a house next year and do not yet know if I will need a router and modem or just a normal router I am looking into buying a router with a modem built in.

I found this one on amazon (a netgear DGN2000) and would like to know if it will work if connected directly to an ethernet port, ie not using the modem part of the router,

Another question, which wireless N router with modem would you suggest buying for approximately £60?

I will do, I just though that this would be a quicker way to get a response, as for being allowed to do it.. I believe they don't care what you do with your ethernet port in your room as long as it's not illegal or too bandwidth consuming.

I already have a router set up and there have been no problems, I know of other people that also have routers set up, all I would like to know is can a modem router behave like a normal router (ie without the modem part)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back