Connecting a SCSI HDD to a desktop PC

I've done a lot of work in SCSI and you are on the right track.
One important issue with your drive: Was it originally an external or internal drive?
An internal drive will have 3 resistors near the cable connector on the pc-board,
while an external will not.

There is one issue you need to resolve: what connector is on your drive?
SCSI has three styles of cabling scsi-I, scsi-II, & scsi-III. Your drive will need
to cable to your controller card.

use google to look for SCSI cables and you'll get some pictures and descriptions.

As you may not have worked with this before, I'll remind you that SCSI needs terminator and the end of the device chain - - even if there's only one device.
There are two types: Active and Passive - - it doesn't matter.

While your drive will have only ONE connector, due to the termination requirement,
it MUST be mounted in a SCSI enclosure which will provide:
  • the cable connector (internal) to the drive
  • the scsi cable connector to the controller card
  • the connector for the terminator
  • AND the scsi address selector {0-7} (never use 0, that's for the controller/internal hd), so typically select (1) as the scsi address
btw, (b-c) can be the upper or the lower connectors, they are not polarized.

Thanks for the info. The hard is 68 pin. And yes I've never worked with SCSI before. Anyway I'll take some photos and post them.

Thanks again.....

I found this card on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adaptec-AHA...538?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20bdde0cb2

My question is that this card interface ( PCI ) looks different from what I know, it has three parts ( the interface where it connects with the mother board ) while the ones I know have two parts, any explanation ?

Another question, if I used the external port in this card to connect the hard disk will I still need a terminator ? Can you point me to a cheap one ?

Thanks.....

those connectors on the edge of the board are for INTERNAL connections.

here's a link for the Seagate Ultra320
On the SPECIFICATIONS Tab is a link to the product PDF. Chapter 9 is the installation info.

A major decision is How will you install the HD: internally or externally (ie in an enclosure)? This will determine the cable choice.

Here's a description of the 80 vs 68 pin devices

more info

A normal SCSI chain of devices (externally connected) look like:
68-to-50-diagram.gif

Terminators: search google with ultra320 scsi cable terminator

see Cable connections

site for Internal Cables

Back