Connecting Routers, argh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, but I decided to join as not only did I like the content on the forum but the members seem friendly enough. I know my question has been posted many times so forgive me and feel free to ignore this post if you deem it to be a chore.

Anyways I previously had a Netgear DG834G v3, after changing my ISP I now also have a D-Link 2740R, which was given to me free by them. I’m currently using the latter (D-Link) as it provides better coverage, however this is the problem I am having : My brothers PS3, which is located on the third floor has a poor wireless connection so I want to connect it via a lan connection through Router2 , so I wish set up the following connection:

ADSL
¦
{Wan}Router1{lan}--------- Computer1 (1st Floor)
{wireless}
¦~~~~~~~~~~~ Computer2 (1st Floor)
¦~~~~~~~~~~~ Computer3 (2nd Floor)
¦~~~~~~~~~~~ Iphone (Raoming)
¦~~~~~~~~~~~ Ipod (Roaming)
¦
¦
Router2 {lan}--------- PS3 (3rd Floor)

I've trolled through the web for answers, this is how i stumbled upon this site. Tried pretty much all that I could, I set Router2 as a "repeater with wireless client association" and disabled the DHCP, as well as enter the MAC address of Router1, but nothing. One problem I did encouter though which I havent been able to resolve when trying to change the IP address of Router2 I get an error message "New IP is not in the same subnet as the old LAN IP", when trying to set Router1's local IP address to one in the same subnet as router2. My knowledge on this subject is limited so I was hoping that you guys could help out and let me know if theres something I am missing.

Here is a photostream of my routers' acess pages;

flickr.com/photos/30289583@N05/sets/72157623130883549/show/with/4293337052/ (You'll have to copy and past this link into the addres bar)

ADSL
¦
{Wan}Router1{lan}--------- Computer1 (1st Floor)
{wireless}
¦~~~~~~~~~~~ Computer2 (1st Floor)
¦~~~~~~~~~~~ Computer3 (2nd Floor)
¦~~~~~~~~~~~ Iphone (Raoming)
¦~~~~~~~~~~~ Ipod (Roaming)
¦
Router2 {lan}--------- PS3 (3rd Floor)
1) limit range of router#1 DHCP range to say 10 addresses 192.168.0.2->0.10
2) set ip address on router#2 to 192.168.0.20
3) set that routers DCHP to create 192.168.0.21->0.31

both routers will be on the same subnet (mask 255.255.255.0)
so all systems will be able to share

suggest Different SSIDs (xxx1 and xxx2) and Channels for each {one at low end, other at high end}

Thanks for your reply Jobeard, however I am having problems changing the IP address of the routers to the same subnet. Router1 has default IP of 192.168.1.1 and Router2 has default IP 192.168.0.1 trying to get the third digit to either 0 for the first router or the 1 for the second router, so I can have IP's of 192.168.1.1(Router1) and 192.168.1.20(Router2) or vice versa, just doesn't seem to happen. Any Ideas?

I have two linksys routers set up like this:
Disable DHCP on router two.
Set a fixed IP out of the range of router 1(I used192.168.1.254)
Connect router 1 to the lan port of router 2.
Done.

yes, that works well too, but he's using WiFi to reach the second router and that's
an effective connection to the wan port.

Thanks for your reply Jobeard, however I am having problems changing the IP address of the routers to the same subnet. Router1 has default IP of 192.168.1.1 and Router2 has default IP 192.168.0.1 trying to get the third digit to either 0 for the first router or the 1 for the second router, so I can have IP's of 192.168.1.1(Router1) and 192.168.1.20(Router2) or vice versa, just doesn't seem to happen. Any Ideas?

reverse your approach; change router 1's ip address :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back