Connecting to the internet through crossover cable and wireless card

Status
Not open for further replies.

i_need_answers

Hi,
I have two computers next to each other on my desk but only 1 has a wifi card. They both are Xp pro but I was trying to figure out how to connect to the internet through internet connection sharing or a "bridge" using the one wifi card in the computer and connecting ethernet by a crossover cable to the 2nd computer. I don't know how to accomplish this but any help would be really appreciated...
One thing that puzzles me is when I cut on the computer with no Wifi card ,and I have the crossover cable connected to both computers ethernet port, The computer without the card cuts off, Restarts, and 2 seconds later repeats...When I unplug the cable all is fine untill I plug it back in. Then it restarts...any suggestions?
Thanks,
Jonathan

you mean like
[internet>modem>wifi router>wifi card (pc1)> Internet Connection Sharing>ethernet x-over>pc2]??

just get another wifi card for your pc, or plug it in directly to a router.. that setup is very fiddly, and give lots of unexpected and unstable results.. trust me.. i've tried it..

Yea....

I thought this would be a easy way to solve the problem...But does it mean that I have a bad crossover cable if in:

{Internet} -Modem- [Router] (Wifi) then I connect a crossover cable
into the onboard ethernet card and plug the other end into ethernet
on the other pc.

When I do this. the 2nd pc automatically cuts off. If I put it in, it instantly cuts off.
I'll probably just buy another card or bridge. thanks for the help.

so how come you want to go with that setup? its plain insane..

if you want just internet sharing, just plug it directly into the router. Not only does the router act like a switch, but it also is built soley to share an internet connection with any pc/machine thats plugged into it. some routers have an autodetect feature to see what type of network cable you are using. it will save you the $20 odd dollars to get another ethernet card if you plan to buy.

the software bridge inside network properties does link up two different network adaptors (like the wifi card and the ethernet) but what happens is that the wifi card is not a form of direct connection unlike a cabled connection. You cant loose a signal between two machines with cable, unless its been unplugged, whereas a wifi can loose signal depending on the enviromental status, even if the dongle is still pluged in...

that bridge needs both adaptors to work continuously for it to work. I used to have the opposite setup to yours, but the same idea behind it. I choose not to start growing grey hairs when im only 19...

It wasn't supposed to be a permanent setup. I was only waiting untill I could get another wireless card and I figured this would be a simple and cheap temp setup. Guess not, lol. I'll just wait untill I can another wireless card.

btw. What do you have to do to transfer files through crossover cable. (connection properties)

btw. What do you have to do to transfer files through crossover cable. (connection properties)

Just like any other network.. share the folder/files and make sure both pcs are in the same workgroup. Right click the folder you wish to share, then enable it in the properties.

dont get me wrong, that setup could work, but the troubleshooting involved to resolve the instabilities arnt worth the effort....

have fun :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back