Connecting to the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this seems very silly, but I'm having trouble connecting to the internet. I just moved into a basement and there is a rogers black box (DPX2213). It has an Ethernet port and I plugged an Ethernet cord into and ran it into my cheap little no name (no wireless) router which then hooked into my desktop. I had just come from my house where that same router was working to router the internet to my laptop and desktop. I then tried to plug my laptop via the Ethernet cable into the roger box and it didn't connect to the internet either. No of the settings are changed. I can get the wireless internet from the router upstairs, but I would like to have wired internet in my desktop as well. If anyone could help that would be great.

My desktop
CPU: Core i7
GPU: Sapphire 4890
Mobo: Asus P6T

My Laptop (ha ha)
CPU: Celeron M
GPU: Mobile Intel 915GM
Mobo: Stock

First I need to verify, you are only using 1 router, and what messages are you getting on your internet browser, which is...?

Okay the rogers box connects to a modem which connects to a linksys router. I spoke with rogers and they said I have to plug the cable into the router and that it can't be plugged into the internet. So I did. And now my desktop just keeps telling me that it's trying to acquire a network and then it says connected, but it's limited with the yellow triangle

I don't think so. You know when your lan connection has that little yellow triangle beside it. I it's just rogers High-speed.

Try running a diagnostic check on your system,
Go to Help and Support under the start menu, click "Use tools to view your computer information and diagnose problems" under Pick a Task.
Under tools (on left side) pick Network Diagnostics, and then Scan your system.

Thanks for that. This is what it said:

Internet Service
Default Outlook Express Mail - Not Configured
Default Outlook Express News - Not Configured
Internet Explorer Web Proxy - Failed
IEProxy = 168.94.74.68 (Failed)
Pinging 168.94.74.68 with 32 bytes of data:
Destination host unreachable.
Ping statistics for 168.94.74.68:
Packets sent = 4, received = 0, lost = 4
IEProxyPort = 8080
Server appears to be running on port [NONE]

Modems and Networking Adapters
Network Adapters Passed

I then tried to plug my laptop via the Ethernet cable into the roger box and it didn't connect to the internet either.

Just to review, are you sure you wired the laptop directly into the modem? Not the router?
I want to suggest trying a different router (how old is it?). If your wireless works, that means your modem is getting the signal.

We have this rogers box which outputs telephone, cable and internet from one box. The box runs up to the modem and then the modem runs to the router (Router isn't that old, it's a linksys wrt54 v8). I called rogers and they told me that I couldn't plug my ethernet cord into the back on the rogers box because the modem was already in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back