TechSpot

Connecting two computers simultaneously to the internet throuh one telephone line.

By sourabh
Feb 2, 2005
  1. i have a desktop computer and a laptop and 1 telephone line. i have windows xp home edition on my laptop and windows me at my desktop. and i am living in india.

i want to run the internet on the both Simultaneously.

if i had connected to the internet on desktop and if i connect internet to my laptop, it discoonects my desktop conection and connect to the internet and vice versa.

can anyone tell me how can i share the telephone line between my desktop and my laptop.

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

With the help of a router, available from e.g. Netgear, Linksys, D-Link etc.
    They normally allow up to 4 PCs to connect at the same time.

3. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

But you will only be able to do this if you have a high speed connection like ADSL or cable. If you are just using a modem it will be much harder, and frankly not worth it.

BTW
    :wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,699   +338

I think if you just want 2 to be on at once you can use Windows Internet Connection Sharing. I *think* the XP system has to be the host (the one that dials in). Just connect the 2 computers together with a crossover cable and run the ICS wizard on the ME machine after you have got the XP one set up.

Poert - There are instances where its worth it to set it up. Currently I have 6 computers in the house, all are functional but not all have dialup modems in them, yet all have NICs. If I could connect with all of them without having to disconnect one that would be a huge benefit in itself, let alone all the convieniences of having all computers in the house networked to themselves.

I found some dialup routers on e-bay, I'm seriously considering doing this...

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.