Connection issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an interesting issue.

I changed routers this weekend. I had a Belkin54G wireless router connected directly to my cable modem to support a combined 4 laptops (both for myself and my wife, 2 work and 2 personal). We didn't have any problems with this router in terms of connection speed, however it had the tendency to drop randomly and then require a restart of the router.

Yesterday I purchased a D-Link DIR-628 Wireless N router and up until this morning it was great. No lost connections and the connection speed seemed to be faster than the Belkin.

However, this morning when my wife attempted to log on to her work laptop she experienced crawling web speeds, around 45 seconds to a minute to access a webpage, sometimes more.

Our personal computers work fine on it and I am lead to believe it might be something with the way her Network Admins have the laptop setup but, I cant figure out why it worked fine on the Belkin and works so slow on the D-Link (which in theory is supposed to be faster).

Personal Computers:

Dell XPS 1530 - Works fine.
Dell Inspiron 1721 - Works Fine

Work Computer
HP Compaq 6910P - Not fine, slow internet connection.

I haven't tried my work computer on it yet, its an Inspiron something-or-other. Could it have something to do with the frequency and HP not supporting it?

Thanks in advance!

Yesterday I purchased a D-Link DIR-628 Wireless N router and up until this morning it was great. No lost connections and the connection speed seemed to be faster than the Belkin.

However, this morning when my wife attempted to log on to her work laptop she experienced crawling web speeds, around 45 seconds to a minute to access a webpage, sometimes more.

Our personal computers work fine on it and I am lead to believe it might be something with the way her Network Admins have the laptop setup but, I cant figure out why it worked fine on the Belkin and works so slow on the D-Link (which in theory is supposed to be faster).
could be; most companies are on 802.11g NOT the 11.n which is still not an approved standard. Your wife's laptop will need to conform the the work environment.
I haven't tried my work computer on it yet, its an Inspiron something-or-other. Could it have something to do with the frequency and HP not supporting it?
NO. the MFG platform and OEM software do not control or interact with the frequency --
That's the job of the Router(which transmits) and the wifi card (which must listen at the correct frequency).
Now, 802.11b and 802.11g products are both available that operate in the 2.4GHz band, while 802.11a use the 5GHz band.​
Stability is frequently obtained by setting the router to G-ONLY mode, but you'll not like to regress the other systems down from the 11.n speed.

You might investigate the laptop to see if the wifi software supports Hardware Profiles. My Toshiba has a tool called Config Free with profiling (see the attachment). Different Profiles allow different settings for ALL adaptors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back