Connection Problem with LAN!

By Candy_girl
Mar 19, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello;

I've been on LAN for about 2 years now and everything is going just fine , up until a week ago when the connection started cutting off suddenly! it simply disconnects even though the server is open and everything , but it just keeps sending but no recieveing , but sometimes it connects for about a second like gets me to google and then it goes off again!

Also when I unplug the jack and put it back again after a while it comes back again , but only for a second it could last for a coupla hours but then it eventually disconnects, same thing happens when I disable and enable the connection!

Right now the connection is fine , but it go off any minute now !

I have windows XP and use norton antivirus 2004 , also I have spyware doctor for scanning spams and such!

Actually I called the internet company and they said there's nothing with their connection and that there's definitely something with my computer , but I still don't know what's wrong!

I hope this makes sense , but I really don't know what's going on , I scanned my computer several times with different antiviruses but again no luck!

I'm sorry to be long , but I'm really going crazy!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  2. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,763

Try re-installing the NIC driver or see if there is a newer one.
  3. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

How is the LAN built? You share your internet connection using a router?

"disconnect" means what? You get the "network cable is unplugged" message? Or you just lose internet connectivity?
  4. Candy_girl

Candy_girl Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 54

No actually the host people of the network have a server and therefore we're all connected to it , that is about 5 people sharing it ! so no I don't have a router!

As for the disconnect thing , I just can't access the internet however as I mentioned before it can only allow me to access for a sec but that happens only when I disable the connection or pull off the plug! if I don't do so the connection remanis idle!

I hope this is more clear!
  5. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

Well, if someone is sharing an internet connection, then there is bound to be a router somewhere :)

Is anyone else having the same problem? When you get disconnected, can others work normally?
  6. Candy_girl

Candy_girl Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 54

Oh maybe I just don't know that much about it!

Unfortuntely I don;t know anybody on the network! sounds weird but it's the truth!

Well I downloaded an update for the NIC driver and till now it's working fine , hopefully it'll stay that way!

Thank you guys for your help :)
  7. N3051M

N3051M Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,800

well if it does act up again, i'd suggest a bit of basic troubleshooting: cables, direct connection, bypassing the server/hard firewall etc, drivers and settings and other pcs.....
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.