Connection problem

I have frontier dsl. My laptop is hard wired to modem works fine 10/100 card the pc will not connect it has an onboard realtekl and a pci card....i bought a dlink 10/100 tried all the cards. The settings are all the same as I can tell. I tried contacting frontier they said it was the modem and (modem works on laptop) at one point I had connection then tried a few things like ipconfig a release and now there is no connection. I unistalled then becasue it is an old computer tried to install os and now I still can not get connected. m I missing something. Laptop is xp and the pc is now running windows. I can not activate the windows until I can get connected...thank you for your hlep

Can you give us the output of ipconfig /all from the command prompt please.

Given that you ran ipconfig /release but never said that you then ran ipconfig /renew can you please run it, and then give the output of ipconfig /all again.

Also, can you try the following, and give us the results:

ping www.techspot.com

Windows can be activated via telephone, so that is always an option in the meantime.

things I have tried.

I did a ipconfig/flushdns then tried to do an ipconfig/registerdns and it would not do anything. I had connection it said and then the computer trouble shooter said that the cable was not connected. I unistalled the drivers then reinstalled them.
I was wondering if I should delete the local connections and try a new connection. It gives me the option to do broadban connection and I tried to do that. My laptop has a broadcom integrated controller so when I installed my windows 7 then there must be a controller missing. I do not have the drivers for all the reinstall so I am trying to down load them. This is a custom pc. This is the only thing I can think of that is missing. Thank you for your help....It is sure appreciated

solution

I have frontier dsl. My laptop is hard wired to modem works fine 10/100 card the pc will not connect it has an onboard realtekl and a pci card....i bought a dlink 10/100 tried all the cards. The settings are all the same as I can tell. I tried contacting frontier they said it was the modem and (modem works on laptop) at one point I had connection then tried a few things like ipconfig a release and now there is no connection. I unistalled then becasue it is an old computer tried to install os and now I still can not get connected. m I missing something. Laptop is xp and the pc is now running windows. I can not activate the windows until I can get connected...thank you for your hlep

I have checked everything, I am going to reinstall the software, the network controller was not installed on the computer. I will update once I finish installion. Thanks for your help.

you have IPv6 active and many of our routers don't do well with it.

Disable IPv6, disconnect the cable and reboot.

When the desktop arrives, connect to your router and wait ~30 seconds,
rerun the ipconfig /all and instead of stuff like
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.40.61(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 276097594
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-15-4C-A6-D6-00-E0-4D-6E-67-A8​
you should see
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.4
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 209.18.47.61
209.18.47.62​

flash bios

Hi, I reinstalled all the drivers and flashed the bios. Then I had Frontier send me a new modem. After I installed and updated with the new modem then I was able to get online. I had to have some help with Frontier to set the modem. Now both laptop and pc are online. Thanks for all the help trouble shooting. This is an awesome site and I hope I can contribute something to all of you at some point.

we welcome all contributions.
Suggest that we take the attitude of discussing the pros/cons of an idea and totally avoid personal attacks - -
everyone learns from someone else - - even me :)

Back