Connection problems with wireless...

Hello,

I recently bought a new computer and am having great difficulty with the wireless connection. Here are the facts...

- My old computer started having problems with being dropped from the internet, which was a fault of the modem
- we had a Linksys router which never required resetting or dropped the connection
- The server company replaced their old modem with a Speedstream 6520 modem/router
- The problem wasn't completely solved but I could use the internet...it only disconnected perhaps once or twice a day and I could easily reconnect
- the old computer bit the dust and I had to purchase a new one...Samsung np300v5a
- I can sometimes get a connection on the wireless but it is weak, very short-lived (sometimes no more than a few seconds), and sometimes it takes multiple tries to get a connection, which sometimes doesn't happen at all
- it will say that it is connected, or has limited access, but there will be no response on the internet and I'll have to disconnect and attempt to reconnect.
- restarting the computer doesn't solve it often
- using the safe mode with networking works much, much better
- the router is perhaps 80 feet away
- just got a message from AVG saying IE is using too much memory, but I only have 3 simple tabs open

Here are the things I have tried, with all the research I've done:
- ran Microsoft Essentials, AVG scan, AVG PC Tuneup Spybot, Malware Bytes to clean the machine
- reset TCP/IP with online "fix it"
- reset winsock
- did ip/release and /renew manually
- turned off firewall but turned it back on when there was no change
- tried different channel
- tried static IP
- downloaded latest network driver
- firmware and drivers are all seemingly up to date
- turned off IPv6
- made sure proxy servers are not enabled
- made sure DHCP is enabled
- just did netsh int ip reset reset.log manually
- have "Roaming Aggressiveness" and "Transmit Power" at highest levels.
- "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power" is unchecked

No change.

The other computer in the house seems to have no problem, but it is less than 2 feet from the Speedstream, and the user rarely ever uses it enough to even notice. She did, however, get a message about another computer in the house using the same IP address.

I am using Windows 7 and IE9.

I have downloaded Hijack This in case it is needed.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Alright, looking over what you have said, it actually seems to be a simple problem. The router is for some reason giving both PC's the same IP adress. You might try having the second PC shut down when its not used, to prevent this conflict, and also if you know how to, setup static ip's, to avoid ip conflicts. DO NOT attempt this unless you know what you are doing though!

Message me here if you need more help :)

I've tried disconnecting that computer from the network a few days ago and that didn't help. Would fully shutting it down make a difference and is there any solution that would allow both computers to be used at the same time so as not to inconvenince either user?

Hmm, have you tried resetting the router itself? The speedstream seems to have a documented problem with this sort of conflict. Try having both computers on, then unplug the router itself for 20 seconds and then plug it back in and let it boot fully, then try and get on the internet from both computers.

If that doesnt work I can either walk you through how to setup static IP's to avoid this conflict, or if you need me to, I can remote connect and do it myself so you can watch. I use a program called teamviewer often to assist users both here and in my family, so if you need additional help setting up static ip's (if that is what you want to do) I can connect with a one time password you create.

So, yesterday the internet suddenly started to be pretty good and I wondered if the "netsh in ip..." helped, so I put off resetting the router to see what would happen. The speed was all right and it didn't kick me off. A few minutes ago, it started the problems again so I did unplug the router (I've turned it off many times over the past week), but it changed nothing. I'm currently in safe mode just so I could reply on this thread.

If you could list the steps to setup the IP, I'd appreciate it.

Perhaps I should mention that I just went on to the router's webpage and, under devices, it lists the two computers as having different IP addresses.

I wonder why it worked fine yesterday afternoon, last night, and until evening. It is usually worse in the evening, though.

What may have happened is that even though the two computers are listed under seperate IP's, depending on how the ISP has their network setup, the nighttime problems could have been caused by a large number of people signing on to the ISP around the same time.

Thank you for mentioning the two seperate IP's though, it may be an issue. If you want to setup static IP's you have to set each computer's IP manually but you always have to make sure it matches the same IP as your router, except for the last 2-3 numbers.

For example;

If your routers IP adress is 10.0.0.1 (just an example)

Then you can use for example 10.0.0.7 for one PC's IP and 10,0,0,4 for another

Or for example if its 192.168.1.1 as the router IP, then you could use 192.168.1.6 or 192.168.1.9

Here is a good example of how to do it with a Windows 7 PC,
http://portforward.com/networking/static-win7.htm
For Vista
http://portforward.com/networking/static-vista.htm
For XP
http://portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm

They explain in relatively clear steps how to setup a static IP, but feel free to ask questions

Back