TechSpot

Connection problems

By PJG2004
Dec 14, 2008
  1. idk if this is the right forum to post under but i need some help. Randomly a couple days ago my web browser just stopped working (running IE 7 i believe) on my laptop. The connection was fine beforehand but it just all of the sudden stopped overnight it seems like. Im still receiving a signal..i have an excellent connection running 54 mpbs, AIM is working, but no IE response. i rebooted, reset router, disabled connection and reconnected and im dumbfounded. I need some help, please.

2. hrlow2

hrlow2 TS Rookie Posts: 136

Have you tried any other browsers? Give Firefox or Opera a try.

3. PJG2004

PJG2004 TS Rookie Topic Starter

i fixed it. i ran the self-diagnostic test...then i figured out that it was my anti-virus for some reason.

4. hrlow2

Which AV were you using???

5. PJG2004

Norton..i forget which one specifically cuz im not at my house right now but its norton

6. hrlow2

I always steer clear of Norton. They use way too much system resources and can be very difficult to remove without the Norton Removal Tool. ( Imagine that. Digs in so deep that they had to make a special tool to remove it.)

7. PJG2004

yeah i know, im tired of the firewall blocking stuff that doesnt need to be blocked...when its time to renew idk what AV to go with...any suggestions?

8. hrlow2

I used to use Avira AntiVir(always in the top 3 free ones). Now I use Comodo Internet Security rith firewall and AV.

9. PJG2004

alright, ill have to check that out

10. andyc

andyc TS Rookie

You should also check out NOD32 from ESET. It's worked wonders for me...

11. PJG2004

sweet...i appreciate it fellas

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.