Connection stability on a home network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klohgloh

Hello,

ok.. I'm experiencing a strange lags/short disconnections on my computer, when some other poeple use internet on another computer in our home network. To give an example:
- I'm playing a game online
- someone else turns another computer on (obviously, it causes some harder internet load on the startup)
-> i get disconnected from the game (and i 'know' it means that i lost connection for a little while to the server OR i had a huge connection lag)

- then the other person loads a webpage on the internet
-> again, i get disconnected or, if im lucky, my ping goes up for a moment

The connection is a dsl (should be of good quality i guess) connected to a modem, then from the modem it goes to 3 different computers. It's a classical home network i think.

I understand a connection problem when someone is uploading data on another computer or something. My point is that i get problems evidentaly caused by actions which doesn't cause the problem if i do them myself on my computer, like clicking on a link. But if someone else clicks the same link i get disconnected.

Ok, i'd appreciate any help. If i didn't make myself clear enough, please ask!
Thanks ;)

Your DSL should be able to handle three computers on the net at the same time. The only time you should see any interference from another computer is when it is downloading a bittorrent file or similar situation and then your ping would just jump dramatically. It sounds like a router problem to me. What router are you using?

Thanks for reply.
Im not really sure what a router is, but i guess it's built in the modem, which is Lucent cellPipe 22A-FX-CZ.
If im wrong... there aren't any other 'boxes' next to the modem, except a splitter ;).

Thanks for reply.
Im not really sure what a router is, but i guess it's built in the modem, which is Lucent cellPipe 22A-FX-CZ.
If im wrong... there aren't any other 'boxes' next to the modem, except a splitter ;).
hum; spliter == hub or switch?

with
The connection is a dsl connected to a modem, then from the modem it goes to 3 different computers. It's a classical home network i think.​
there must be a router IN or between the modem and the systems.

run a test with all three systems running and enter this on each:
run->cmd /k ipconfig

all systems must have a different IP address. If so, then there's a router present :)

Modem is DSL: google for a firmware update for that make and model.

Also updated drivers for your NIC cards on all systems.

- splitter is a little box with 3 cables coming from it - one to the modem, the others go to the phone line, i guess it just serves to divide the cable for the modem from the phone link. 'Splitter' is just written on it ;)

Yeah the router is in the modem then. But i din't manage to find a firmware update for it, since the Lucent homepage doesn't know of my model :/

The drivers should be up to date. Anyway, there is one computer which runs Linux OS

But there is like million options in the modem management - i think something like a possibility to set up the number of parallel connections should be there, if something like that could help ?

- splitter is a little box with 3 cables coming from it - one to the modem, the others go to the phone line, i guess it just serves to divide the cable for the modem from the phone link. 'Splitter' is just written on it ;)
HA! That is 'spliting' the phone line side(RJ11), not the tcp/ethernet/RJ45 side :)

Just be sure any equipment attached to the phone line (anywhere in the house)
have the proper filter attached :)

ok, more slowly.

the modem has two sides; one going to the telephone wall jack which runs throughout the house
and the other that leads to the computer equipment.
Each side has different technologies; The phone is 2-pair cables with RJ11 connectors.
The computer is Ethernet/RJ45 connectors.

Your splitter is located on the telephone side of the modem.

Filters:
As you have a DSL connection over the phone line, every piece of equipment attached to that phone line (except the modem) needs a filter.

see this http://support.hubris.net/knowledge_base/013.html

Ok, thanks for explaining that.
I didn't know of these filters at all and i don't think there is something like that before the phones! It's wierd nobody mentioned that when buying the service. So you think this could be the cause of my problem? If so, unplugging the phones (just for a try) should solve it, right ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back