Connection status: unknown, access is denied problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

themitchguy

Well I recently built a computer, and while most of it works fine, the networking is really starting to chap my hide. nothing is showing in the network window, when I hover over the little taskbar icon (that currently has a red x on it) it says "connection status: unknown access is denied." I've tried updating and installing the driver twice now, but to no avail. Any help? :)

This is Vista. Have you updated to Service Pack 2? What kind of Internet connection are you using? Cable, DSL?

i haven't upgraded yet, I'll try that.
I'm guessing it's DSL, but I've never really thought about the difference, is there one?

"I'm guessing it's DSL, but I've never really thought about the difference, is there one?"...

No difference from the modem to the computer. Are you connecting directly wired from the DSL modem to the computer?

Well, it's connected to the router, which is connected to the modem, but that shouldn't make a difference, should it?

Connect the DSL modem directly to the computer for test purposes. See if you can connect to the Internet. DSL modems have to be configured properly sometimes with a user name and password. Also the routers have to reflect these settings

Time to call your ISP (Internet Service Provider) Have you installed all the DSL transformers in all your phone jacks?

well everything should work fine, I mean I hook up my other computers through my router-modem connection, it's almost as if my Vista is telling me that i don't have the right to access networking properties.

So your other "connecting" computers are XP? Vista should be easier to connect to the Internet than XP. What Firewall are you running in Vista?

What kind of network did you set up? Home, office, public or private? Turn on Network discovery, and file sharing... Your pictures show that you are connected to the Internet. You have set something incorrectly, affecting your permissions and security. We have to find out just what you did. You are a "man of few words"... This is the 14th post. What is in that "untitled.jpg" picture you posted. it is too small for me to see?

the typ eof network I set up is just a home network. ah, that "untitled" picture was accidental, but it turns out that I can't change the settings like Network discovery and File sharing due to a problem i'm having with administrator rights. Also, I'm not sure I really did anything, I just installed Vista from the installation disk and it pretty much set itself up, but that rights problem is just that, a problem

Give me another screenshot of your Network and Sharing Center opening window, and what is this system's specs? Is this copy of Windows activated and legal?

well I tried reinstalling Vista and doing a format, and now everything works. Thanks for the help though, I absolutely love this website XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back