Connection to external hard drive for backups

By Jskid
Oct 5, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I'm going to get an external hard drive for backups and can't decide on a USB 3 or eSATA interface. eSATA is faster but my computer doesn't have a port so I'd need to buy an adapter. Do adapters slow the transfer down? Is it that big of a difference between USB 3 and eSATA or would my money be spent better on something else e.g. disk rpm?
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,348   +300

Heck, I just use a USB device and it performs very well - - it's also portable for a recovery elsewhere if needed.
  3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,477   +292

I would go with USB3. I have an eSATA enclosure and it came with a plate for the back of the tower, and from that plate there is just a cable to the typical SATA connection on the motherboard, so there isn't any reason for a speed difference. USB 3 is going to be a better option simply because it will work on pretty much any computer.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.