Connections tray crashes

UnWarierMage224

Hello everyone,

As the title of this thread suggests, I've been having a problem with the connections tray of my laptop. Essentially, the light indicating Wi-Fi is on goes out, and the taskbar icons that show me network connectivity stop responding. Re-starting the computer regains functionality, but before the computer shuts down I see an "End Program - Connections Tray" countdown dialog. This only happens when I'm using Wi-Fi and it occurs sporadically.

In an attempt to fix this problem I did both spyware and virus scans: nothing was found. I tried re-installing the drivers for my Wi-Fi card, and that didn't fix the problem.

About this laptop:

- Dell Inspiron 6400, purchased in 2006. I upgraded the RAM in January of this year from 1.0 GB to 2.0 GB
Information as provided by PC Wizard 2010:

Platform : Intel Centrino
Mainboard : Dell 0XD720
Chipset : Intel i945PM
Processor : Intel Core Duo T2400 @ 1833MHz
Physical Memory : 2048MB (2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : ATI Mobility Radeon X1300 (Omega 3.8.442)
Hard Disk : FUJITSU MHW2120BH (120GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : SONY DVD+-RW DW-Q58A
Monitor Type : XD570154W02 (?NX€¯Òö
- 15 inches
Network Card : Broadcom BCM440x 100Base-TX Fast Ethernet Controller
Network Card : Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3 (32-bit)
DirectX : Version 9.0c (October 2010)

Advice appreciated.

- 'Mage

Not even some tracking cookies? 2006 laptop... try performing a Dell restore. It may not work because of all the updates since the laptop was new. In any case a fresh install of the OS would be a good idea

Nada. Nothing.

When you say "fresh install" I have two options:

1. I have an Acronis TrueImage Image file of my C: drive that was created after a fresh install loaded with all the programs I use. (The obvious quick way)
2. ... Or should I go the slow route and use the windows disks?

Which is preferable?

- 'Mage

Back