Connections Tray "Not Responding" = No Internet and Slow PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

SongLive

Hi !

Whenever I connect to the internet via my own WiFi router at home, the connection will terminate after 3-7 minutes and the wireless network will turn off automatic.

If I place the cursor on the wireless icon in the lower right hand tray, the following happens:
I get no response. If I right click on the icon, nothing happens. If I go to Start, Connect to, and wireless connections, nothing happens. The only way I can restore a functioning connection is to shut down the machine. However, when I try to shut down the machine, a windows box opens indicating an attempt to end the connections tray. If I click end program, the box shuts and shut down proceeds.

I bought this laptop last week during my trip to China (So I can't return it for warrenty and I'm sure it's software related...)
It's a HP Pavilion DV2000 / Compaq V3500 with built in Intel Pro Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection.

I have Windows XP Service Pack 3 installed with the latest new updates.
I already have done a virus and spyware scan, totally clean.
I have already updated my drivers to the latest version with DriverMax.
I have already tried running WinSock to repair damaged sock files.

I have seen the problem mentioned in other forums, I already googled and tried all given solutions on google, without luck. I'm desperate for help, please help me

Thanks in advance, I really need help fixing my brand new laptop

' I already googled and tried all given solutions on google'

So I guess you uninstalled the Intel Pro Wireless 3945ABG and removed the drivers from Add/Remove Programs (if they were there)?

Thanks soo much for your reply.

To be honest: No I didn't but I did updated the drivers to the latest version.

Okay, so after deleting the drivers, what do I do now ?

First, make sure you have the support CD with those original drivers OR download them to a folder you make in C:\My Documents\My Downloads called WirelessDrivers.

Be offline.

Then, click on Start, Control Panel, Network Connections. Right click on your connection and click disable then click Properties, then Configure, then Drivers and Uninstall.

Then, click on Start, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs and look for an entry for Intel Wifi or similar and if there is an entry click Remove.

Then reboot.

Then in Device Manager, enable the adapter again and you should get asked for drivers location.

Thanks again for your reply. I did all of the following:

First, make sure you have the support CD with those original drivers OR download them to a folder you make in C:\My Documents\My Downloads called WirelessDrivers.

Be offline.

Then, click on Start, Control Panel, Network Connections. Right click on your connection and click disable then click Properties, then Configure, then Drivers and Uninstall.

Then, click on Start, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs and look for an entry for Intel Wifi or similar and if there is an entry click Remove.

Then reboot.

But after restarting, suddenly my Wireless Connection wasn't disabled anymore and was enabled and said it had found wireless network connections in the area.
I didn't even install drivers !? (But I did follow all of your steps)..

I'm now testing the stability...

I keep you posted, thanks again !

Yeah - I forgot to say turn off Plug and Play in Services for the restart - so Windows found the drivers itself.

:)

Update:

Sadly, it didn't work.
Same problem, Connections Tray (better said the Wireless Network Connections) Hangs it self up, PC gets slow and no internet :\.

Should I try again with disabling Plug and Play Services ?

Look at the Network Connection again and the drivers for the adapter. What is the info on those? Does it match the drivers you downloaded?

Yes, it does match.
I downloaded drivers for the Intel Pro Wireless 3945ABG Network Adapter and Windows says at network connection that the device is a Intel Pro Wireless 3945ABG Network Adapter......

Oh boy, that looks like a lot of coffee to be needed...

Is it really neccessary ? My pc is clean, I'm sure of that. I reinstalled it last week, and only have trusted software on it. Avira Antivius, CCLeaner, Office 2003, Command and Conquer Generals, Adaware 2003, Firefox, Media Player Classic and VSO Image Resizer. That's all installed software as far as I can remember

If it is really needed, I will perform all actions as described in the post

Thanks again

Ouch, one thing which might be important and I forgot to tell:
The laptop has a sticker with "Windows Vista" on it, however when I bought it brandnew already XP was preinstalled on it (chinese, so I formatted it. It also didn't have a recovery partition back then, if so I would have noticed).
Because I had no driver cd with it, I needed to download them from the HP site, without luck in the beginning because the laptop was designed for xp.
Then I found this thread on the official HP Forums:
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1210191
I installed all drivers mentioned in that thread, thought I were safe.

But I dug into google again a few minutes ago and found these very interesting topics about my laptop and xp drivers:
http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-16795-install-xp-on-hp-dv2000-serie-s-easy-easy

http://hapapism.blogspot.com/2008/05/windows-xp-drivers-for-hp-pavilion.html

I think I start following the first link and see if that fixes my problems, is that a good idea ?

Oh, the closest XP drivers for my model I could found on the official HP site on 1 page are these:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&cc=au&dlc=en&product=1817074

Thanks

Some are indeed there.
Wireless Assistent only says if your Wireless and Bluetooth are turned off or on, that's pretty much it.. Very useless tool.

What you CAN do is research other models in that series and if ANY share the =same motherboard chipset, then try their XP drivers.

If none do, then Hasta la Vista, baby!

(little joke)

STOP! Don't reformat. It won't help.

I came across this thread while researching my own problem. I recently purchased two identical Dell Latitude D630s with the same Wireless Adapter (Intel Pro Wireless 3945ABG). BOTH machines demonstrated the exact same behavior right out of the box. The only difference is that my problem was less predictable. Usually, it happened about twice a day. But sometimes it could happen three times in 10 minutes.

I had intended to repartition my HD anyway, so I immediately reformatted both machines. The problem persisted. I uninstalled the wireless drivers and put in the new ones from Intel. Still no luck. I have not yet found a solution, but I would advise against a reformat, since my problem survived it.

Question: Are you using the Intel Proset Wireless Software? Or are you using Windows XP to manage your wireless connection? I'm using XP. Perhaps the problem is Window's tool trying to interact with the Intel driver.

Too late, I just reformatted however I can't get windows vista to install.
I get a stupid 0x80300001 error which I can't be able to solve at all ways I tried (Partition Magic etc).

Anyway, I was using Windows XP Wireless Zero Service to manage my wireless connection...
What where you using ? Intel's software or the built in one ?

Thnx

I'm using the built in one.

And the more I think about it, the more I think that could be the problem. If XP's tool is relying on a driver feature that Intel doesn't support, that could hang the connections tray. . . just speculation. -_-

As for your Vista install. . .I've come across threads where users with Vista encountered the same problem. (I'm trying to find an example to post.)

I just tried this. . .seems to be on point, and explains the "randomness". If you can recover that computer, it might be worth a try.

support.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-006205.htm

I'll keep you posted on how it works for me. But since I haven't had any trouble yet today so it will be tough to gauge.

Thanks for your reply.
Vista is giving me headaches. I can partition the drive with the built in tool in the Visita Setup, I can format it, split it etc but It wont just install Vista on it, very frustrating if you ask me.

If I cant get vista to work by tommorrow I will reinstall XP again and download + install the Intel tool to see if that fixes the problem.

Very annoying if you ask me just to get WiFi to work.

Thanks again for your replies, really appriciate it and I hope we can both sort this problem out forever !

No problem. I agree this is absurd.

You may not need the Intel utility. That article I linked to in my last post has worked for me so far. No dropouts all day.

Regarding your Vista install problem, I'd suggest using a Linux installation disk (such as OpenSuse) to repartition your hard drive. Then cancel the Linux install and start over with Vista. Or XP. . . whatever you want. And make sure your data/OS are on different partitions so you can easily change your mind later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back