Considering buying a new system.... VISTA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

afreund0317

I want to get a new system and since most that you can get, unless you get one built buy someone who knows something unlike me, come with windows Vista. I'm looking to find out more information about it. Is there many compatibility issues. Could I use my Microsoft Office XP or do I have to get 2007. Can someone point me in the direction to answer all the questions I may have. I don't us my computer for much. Pretty much only loading picture & printing and Online usage. So what should I do?

Here is my 2 cents worth...

From what I have read and talked with others first hand running Vista the real issues have to do with pre-Vista software (is there any other?) and driver compatibility or hardware drivers and Vista. Some issues will cause you hair pulling.

Those that have it running love it or at least like it. I also know those who run both Office 2003 and 2007 and both work fine. Even Open Office 2.0 is working fine with Vista.

I believe Office 2003 is the oldest you can run in Vista. XP and 97 and below aren't supported.

Vista should work with everything else you have.

Personally I would not spend the dough on Office 2007. 'Open Office' is free and is VERY cool, and I have yet to have any compatibility issues with it and Vista. Just remember to save files for example with the same extensions as MS Office uses, like .doc etc and you should be fine. And the resoning there being so you can still open those files on say a 2000 or XP machine. Maybe a mahince at your work or something.

If you get Vista, I would not recommend Vista Basic! So far I like Vista and have had little problems with any software incompatibilities, and not the first driver issue.

okay I'm not totally computer savy sorry. I try my best but most computer talk is wasted on me. I guess thats why I'm hear. TO LEARN MORE. So are you saying that XP is older than 2003. I guess that makes sense I think I got it around Spring of 2002. Okay then the system I'm looking at is from Best Buy well there are 2. for processing units is Intel better than AMD

if someone could that knows more here are the two systems would you mind looking to tell me which looks like a better computer.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat13504&type=page&pageIdentity=customerDriven&h=488

Your link is not working for me. You might wanna check it. As for Intel vs. AMD.....that is a tough question to answer sometimes. I guess it will depend on what you are wanting to do with a new computer, your budget etc. I think the AMD machines are generally a little more economical. But right now Intel leads the way as far as processor speed. Many here will argue till the sun goes down which is better. I have owned both over the years myself. If you are a gamer I would say go Intel.

Yeah that link works now. I don't see the 2 you are taling about, no boxes are checked. But for God sakes.....DO NOT BUY the eMachines!!! ;)

okay I'm looking at the ACER AST180-UD400B Desktop with 19" widescreen
the other was an emachine but I'll take your word for it. Price is 549

but you think I should go withthe next step up for vista

not a gamer... but I do a lot with photoshop and internet usage.

I am not that sure about the Acer, if your budget allows I would look more towards that first Gateway on that page. But that is just me, I have never owned a Acer. Wait for other opinion here before buying. You would probably be better off having a PC built for you. Any local PC shops nearby?

btw...please edit your posts instead of making new ones when there is not a reply between your last one! Keeps the mods happy! ;)

You know, you may want to check around at some other stores. I think you could probably do better than that Acer. For example I bought a new 17" Core 2 laptop about 2 months ago. I found the very same laptop at Office Depot on sale for about $140 dollars cheaper than it was at Best-Buys. Just a thought....I would look at Newegg.com as well.

I am in full agreement with halo71: Stay away from eMachines! I think you need to tell us your budget and that will help us help you.

I heard from a friend at school that if you take a picture of yourself declining the EULA for Vista, you can get a refund for Vista and install whatever OS you want.

I have no idea if this is true. Just a thought though. I'm an avid XP and Linux fan so I've always considered it.

Thanks for the input. I was looking for as cheap as possible that is capable of being upgraded at a later time. I currently have an HP but it recently got taken over with viruses. I was working on cleaning it up until it was no longer even loading windows. So right now its at a shop getting checked out. I did find out my processor I have now is 40G I may have them just rebuild this system. I just thought the deal at bestbuy was good considering it came with a monitor. I still have a 15" tube monitor. :eek: Time to get a new one.

oh possibly like I said before I'm not very computer savy. :?

If I have this place rebuild my system what should I ask for as far as RAM, HD, and/or Processor. What should be installed?

That all depends on your budget and what you are planning on using this computer for. (i.e. gaming, graphics or just email and web surfing) But I can suggest at least 2 gigs or ram! 1 gig would probably do, but 2 is much better!

Well I only use my computer for Loading pictures and burning to CD and emailing internet surfing. Nothing more. Now I ran into a problem at another computer store saying they would not sell me 512 even because my processor would not process that much. :?

Again I'm not going for spending alot of money I was quoted a new hard drive and 512 memory for $120.

Would I need to upgrade the processor to?

Again, what is your buget. And what are the specs of your existing computer. Model and make? I am not sure what they are saying when they tell you your processor wont process 512 memory or whatever. I think if you go with Vista and only 512 on the memory you will be dissapointed. Get at least 1 gig. I would recommend Vista Home Premium, dont bother with Home Basic.

okay I want to spend no more than $700 All I know about my current computer is it is an HP Pavillion XT963. and I currently have 2 -128RAM installed. with Windows XP & Office XP I was satisfied with everything until it got the virus.

So I don't care if I upgrade to Vista but if I'm going to have to pay to get XP or Vista installed I guess I will go with Vista.

I don't get that my computer wouldn't process 512 either. The place my computer is at now said nothing about that. Sounded like it would be fine.

I think maybe you should start a ne thread in the Security forum here. Title it something like "help with virus needed" or something. Get that taken care of first, then you can see about just upgrading what you already have. Just a thought though......

thanks for the idea but that is where i started. I tried but by the time I got through the first 5 steps my computer just would not respond anymore. It shut down and wouldn't turn back on. That is why it is at the shop now.

Well thanks for the help. I'll talk to the shop about where to go from here.

Well if your budget is $700. You could just buy something new. Just stay from from eMachines I would suggest. For what you will use it for, you can get a fairly decent computer for that amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back