TechSpot

Constant BSOD under any OS

By Renegado
Mar 23, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hi, I'n new in the forum but I've been searching previous messages with my problem.

Configuración:

Desktop: Compaq Presario SG3309LA
    O.S. - Windows 7 SP1 32btis

I'm triyng a solve constant BSOD a user was complaining about. The PC originally came with WinVista, but we installed Win7 Prof. Initially everything was ok, but 3 or 4 months ago the user started to complain.

I've had the PC for 4 days now and it randomly crashes even without running any progrman.

I've tried reinstalling WinVista and the crashes kept coming. I even tried running Ubuntu from a CD and once it crashes.

I've checked the memory with MemTest86+ and everything is ok
    I've checked the hard-disk with the Hitachi Utility and everything is ok

The problem doesn't ocurr in safe mode, only while running a normal mode.

I've tried installing a video card instead of the integrated one and the problem still ocurrs.

I really don't have a clue what's going on. I'm attaching a couple of minidumps to see if you can help me with this.

Attached Files:

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

SYSTEM_THERAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    AMD8.SYS is an AMD CPU driver

"The problem doesn't ocurr in safe mode, only while running a normal mode" You should know that this almost always indicates that it IS a driver issue. How does the driver AMD8.sys relate here? This could be a motherboard issue...

3. Renegado

Renegado TS Rookie Topic Starter

Oh my!

Well it makes sense. We are a small businees and we bought 2 computers of this kind. The other one is starting to present the same problem. But the other one's is not as serious. The user states that he gets a BSOD almost everyday when he powers up the PC. After that he can work without a problem the rest of the day.

I'm attaching two more dumps. These ones occured when the PC was working with a PCI-E graphic card. The problem acutally ocurred more often (I got a BSOD after4 or 5 min after the power up).

If we are talking about a motherboard issue, the I guess I can consider both PC's "dead"?

Attached Files:

4. Tmagic650

You could try replacing the memory for test proposes, and the same AMD8.sys is still present

5. Renegado

Btw, all dumps submited occured in a "freshly" installed Windows 7 SP1. No updates, no 3rd party drivers, no addiontal programs installed.

I wonder... how is it possible that I can run Memtest86+ for hours... Hitachi disk test for hours... windows 7 in safe mode for hours, and nothing happens? Everythins is runs stable. But the momento I run any O.S. "freshly installed" the damm BSOD kick in :(

I'm gonna try to replace the memory and keep you posted. I hope the problem is a replaceable hardware related issue

6. Renegado

Hi again.

Apparently the issue has been solved. I changed the memory and so far the PC is working fine.

It's really weird. I run MemTest86+ overnight and it never detected any error.

Also I installed the "defective" memory on a PC running WinXP and the PC is running stable. But when I switch the mem back to the Win7 PC crashes occur again.

Anyway. Thanks for the help. You have been very helpful.

7. Tmagic650

Glad we got this solved :)