TechSpot

Constant BSODs and event errors - Windows 7 32-bit

By xiaobao12
Oct 12, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi all,

I am running a Dell Dimension 4600, P4 2.66 GHZ, 4 GB RAM (4 sticks), DVD-ROM, CD-ROM, 200GB Maxtor (bought in 2002 - unused until 5 days ago), 120 GB WD, 350W PSU (I believe).

Ever since I installed Windows 7 5 days ago, I've been dealing with BSODs and a bunch of errors in event viewer.

I've attached some dump files for anybody that knows how to read them. I got them from the Minidump directory.

I also have a summary of the BSODS.

What could be causing this? Low PSU? Bad mobo? I've ran memtest86 (no errors) but not on the individual sticks. EDIT: I tested each stick of RAM individually and I got no errors.

Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

2. xiaobao12

xiaobao12 TS Rookie Topic Starter

bump in hopes of getting a response...:rolleyes:

3. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,916   +345

What did you do in the way of installing motherboard drivers? It appears that Dell does not support Windows 7 for the 4600 since there are no Windows 7 compatible drivers for it.

4. xiaobao12

xiaobao12 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I didn't install any drivers for my motherboard.

I believe my BIOS is updated - is that the same thing?

I used the Windows Advisory Tool and it gave me the OK.

Thanks for your help.

5. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,916   +345

The BIOS is not the same as drivers. Whenever you install Windows, you also have to install compatible drivers. These include chipset, LAN, audio and video drivers. I looked at the Dell website and found only Windows XP compatible drivers.