TechSpot

Constant Freezing and Disk Errors

By DivAnder
Jul 31, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hi guys,
    So basically I'll boot up my desktop and if it makes it to the Windows desktop screen, then after about 10-30 minutes of use, it freezes and the speakers let out a high frequency sound. No BSOD though. The only way to stop it is to power it down.
    The chances of making it to Windows is about 25% of the time, with the other 75% of attempts not getting that far. Usually it will either freeze when auto-detecting drives (on the bios loadup screen) or it will get past that and I'll get the "Disk read error occurred" message (which was the result the last time I tried to use it.
    This has been going on for a while now, so if anyone can solve it that'd be great. I've used various other techniques and followed other forum posts to no avail.

    Ps. I only seemed to notice problems when I upgraded my graphics card and power supply, but I'm not entirely convinced that would cause disk read errors.

    Specs
    OS: Windows 7 Pro (64 bit)
    CPU: AMD Phenom 955 (Quad Core, 3.2Ghz, Not OC'ed)
    RAM: 8GB Mushkin DDR3
    MOBO: ASRock 880g Extreme 3
    SSD: OCZ Agility 3 120GB Sata3 SSD (OS is on here)
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
    PSU: Corsair CX750 750W
    GFX: ASUS HD7770 CARD 2GB GDDR5
    SOUND CARD: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Fatal1ty Xtreme Gamer
     
  2. Tmagic650

    Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,994   +168

    Sounds like the Seagate Barracuda 2TB is dying...
     
  3. DivAnder

    DivAnder TS Rookie Topic Starter

    That HDD has literally nothing on it (it's brand new) and I've tried without it plugged in
     
  4. Tmagic650

    Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,994   +168

    Then it has to be a problem with the boot SSD
     
  5. DivAnder

    DivAnder TS Rookie Topic Starter

    When I get home from work, I will put my old power supply back in and try it.
    I'll post the results later (y)
     
  6. DivAnder

    DivAnder TS Rookie Topic Starter

    OK, wired up my old power supply. My computer froze after 5 mins of use and now won't get past the BIOS loading screen
     
  7. Tmagic650

    Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,994   +168

    Put the new power supply back in. Is the boot SSD set on a SATA 3 port and is the bios set to AHCI?
     
  8. DivAnder

    DivAnder TS Rookie Topic Starter

    Yes to both. I got it working, all I done was disconnected my cd-rom drive and hey presto.
     
  9. Tmagic650

    Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,994   +168

    So a new cd-rom drive is in your future?
     
  10. tipstir

    tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,716   +89

    Keep and eye on this Seagate Barracuda 2TB they have issues. Got one on the floor not even 6 months old less than that! Failed. Caused all sorts of BSOD! Replaced out of pocket with WD Blue 64MB Cache TB issue gone..
     


Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...


Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.