TechSpot

Constant freezing/BSOD

By Memory Leak
Nov 3, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hey, I have recently been experiencing a rather annoying issue with my pc. It started after I downloaded and installed Catalyst Control Centre to speed up the fan of my overheating graphics card (Idling at 80 degree Celsius).

I have now given up on trying to fix my graphics card so I went out and bought a brand new graphics card in the hope of solving my issue. It did solve the issue of my pc randomly shutting down however I am still experiencing a severe freezing problem, in which the screen freezes and wont change (I tested it for a few hours) so I am forced to shutdown manually. Sometimes when the screen freezes it will make a noise then it will change to the BSOD.

I have tried the following:
    CCleaner (Registery Cleaner)
    Memtest (I ran it over night, for 10 passes)
    Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostic test (Incase of HDD issues)
    System Restore (But I got an error message saying it failed for an unknown issue)
    Bought a brand new graphics card (Asus 7770)

I am absolutely stuck I have no idea whatsoever, I need the wisdom of the tech spot community.

Specs:
    Graphics Card: Asus 7770 (1 Day old)
    Processor: AMD FX - 4100 Quad-Core Processor, 3600 MHz
    HDD: ST310005 24AS SATA Disk Device
    Motherboard: M5 A97
    RAM: 8GB (Cant find the name)

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated, Thanks :D

I would like to state that I am also doing a "CHKDSK" and my PSU is 500 watts
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,840   +165

Can you re-install Windows fresh? Since a System Restore failed, you may have a Windows corruption
  3. Memory Leak

Memory Leak TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 18

I figured out why Restore failed, It was due to ym anti-virus. So I un-installed it and restored and everything seems to be working :D
  4. Tmagic650

Good, thanks for the update:)
  5. Memory Leak

Thanks for responding :D
  6. Memory Leak

False alarm, I just froze and got a BSOD about 20 minutes ago. The blue screen said something about dumping physical memory. I need some serious help :/
  7. Tmagic650

8. Memory Leak

Doing everything you recommended right now, tyvm.

Attached Files:

9. Tmagic650

Okay, the minidump shows "simple" Windows instability, meaning that nothing really stands out. You have done the memory and hard drive tests. You might try re-installing the AMD/ATI video driver from here:
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx
    The recent Windows restore might have installed an older or incomplete video driver
  10. Memory Leak

Okay, I have just un-installed and re-installed all my AMD drivers, hopefully it will work. Thank you so much for your help :D
  11. Tmagic650

You're welcome, good luck:)

12. Memory Leak

Unfortunately I have just frozen again, and needed to restart. Sorry
  13. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,435   +218

Just a shot in the dark... Since CCC requires .NET Framework to run, make sure it is up to date through Windows Update with all of the patches and security fixes.

Also, to avoid any compatibility issues install the CCC version that comes bundled with the AMD graphics driver you are installing.
  14. Tmagic650

That video card is minimal and it may be going bad...
  15. Memory Leak

Ok I have tried everything mentioned and I dont know it is the graphics card as it was happening even before I replaced it. The freezing seems to mainly be while I am play 3d games especially minecraft. Its odd because some days I can play for like 2 - 3 hours without any freeze what so ever but other days such as today It will freeze and require a force shutdown every 15 minutes.
  16. Tmagic650

Sounds now like a power supply issue
  17. Memory Leak

Really, so would you reccomend me upgrading my 500w to something around 650? or even higher?

And thanks so much for continuously helping me with my issue :D
  18. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,954   +900

the 7770 doesnt require that much but it is always safe to have more than less. It may also be a bad GPU? (what are your thoughts on why it is a PSU issue Tmagic?) just curious are you installing straight from the AMD site or a 3rd party?
  19. Tmagic650

Yes, a good brand 650 watt would be nice. No problem, glad to help with this:)

I think power supply because of the fact that games can be played for hours, then sometimes BSOD after less time
  20. Memory Leak

At first I installed the drivers from a disk, then I un-installed and re-installed from the AMD site.

When I had my other graphics card, it would overheat and the pc would simply shutdown. Now with my new one it simply freezes and never "un-freezes".
  21. JC713

22. Memory Leak

Thank you guys so much, I will be purchasing the PSU and will report back ASAP. I really appreciate your help :D
  23. JC713

Do you have the Windows disk? try formatting and reinstalling. I cant tell you how to clean install the drivers because you have a AMD CPU and chipset, and doing the clean installation process may cause you to delete vital drivers since it envolves deleting the AMD folder. This is the guide btw, but if you make a mistake it could result in you having to reinstall windows since playing with registry keys is risky. http://www.overclock.net/t/988215/h...l-ati-amd-software-drivers-for-graphics-cards

Rule of thumb man, never install drivers from CD. Good luck :D
  24. Tmagic650

"Rule of thumb man, never install drivers from CD. Good luck :D"
    Except for a network driver as many motherboards need this before you can get on-line
  25. Memory Leak

Yea, I have learnt that now :D, hopefully this new PSU will solve everything. Thanks Guys

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.