Constant Freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

malicious

idk what is goin on but my computer has been freezing alot latly...the screen freezes and whatever media i have playing still plays but i cant see anything cause of a frozen screen and have to restart my comnputer everytime....anyone got any ideas....im really clueless right now....im using windows xp pro if it helps anyone help me think about it....

You may find a cause using the Event Viewer, finding Error that corresponds with the freeze:

Follow this path:
Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer> Click on System & Apps, one at a time on the left> look for Errors on the right> right click error> Properties> note description of error, Event# and Source.

There is a "copy" button below the up/down arrows. Click that, then go to any place that allows you to type (ie. notepad, wordpad, this board) and you can paste (use CTRL-V) the entire event details there. It makes for easy reporting of the event.

If you want to paste the Event here, you do not need to include the lines of code that follow the Description- but paste all else. You will be looking for Error that occurs at the time of the problem. Please ignore Warnings.

These was for 2/16/08...

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
i8042prt

Error code 000000ea, parameter1 8a3077c0, parameter2 89d088c0, parameter3 8a259b30, parameter4 00000001.

i8042prt

The driver nv4_disp for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates.

i8042prt

What can I do to make these go away? Or cut them down more...

i8042prt is a keyboard or a mouse driver. Try deleting this driver and see if Windows operates normally and then reinstall your device (either keyboard or mouse) relating to this driver. Make a back-up first.

OR - it could be because you have an USB-connected keyboard but PS/2 keyboard support is still enabled in BIOS.

For "The driver nv4_disp for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite loop.:"
A problem with you nvidia driver,-driver could be corrupt.. Uninstall the graphics device, reboot into vga mode, taking care to cancel any found new graphics device. Then uninstall/delete all nvidia drivers, then download and install the drivers direct from nvidia site. Get the latest version of the ForceWare drivers .
http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp Do not use winupdate for drivers.

The above is just addition to the reply from Aytrix-Tec.

In the future, please follow the direction for the copy and paste. Information in that helps in the troubleshooting.

My guess is that the full Event Error looks like this:
Event ID: 7026
Source: Service Control Manager
Description: EVENT_BOOT_SYSTEM_DRIVERS_FAILED The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: i8042prt

This is for example only- yours may be different.

i8042prt is a keyboard or a mouse driver. Try deleting this driver and see if Windows operates normally and then reinstall your device (either keyboard or mouse) relating to this driver. Make a back-up first.

if i delete this driver will my mouse/keyboard still work when i reboot or will i be stuck?

where do i go to fine new keyboard/mouse drivers?

making a back up would be anotha copy of the driver jus not installed on my computer yet, dumb question im sure just making sure i understand fully before i end up messing my computer up even more?

i found a registry program before i decided to get new drivers....i ran a scan an found 325 registry problems....could this be causing this problem too?

Bobbye i downloaded a driverscanner program too and found i had a problem wit a PS/2 Mouse driver problem...even though i dont use a PS/2 Mouse...this cant cause that a big problem could it? imal go check my BIOS now to make sure i have my input settings right

How about bringing us completely up to date. This question was posted 8 months ago!

1. what problems are you experiencing now?
2. Copy Error in Event Viewer?
3. Why are you using a Registry scanner or cleaner? What is it?
4. Are you starting up in Normal Mode or Safe Mode?

I see you started a new thread about the Registry findings. Doesn't make much sense after you picked up this one after 8 months. I asked you for current status. I will consider this thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back