Constant mouse freezing

Recently my cursor has started freezing intermittently. The freezes can last from about 1-5 seconds and happen about 3-4 times a minute. If you move the mouse during one of these freezes, the cursor will not move but after the mouse is unstuck, the cursor will fly to where it should have gone originally. The freezes seem to happen more frequently when the computer is doing something stressful like playing a game, but they also happen right after start up when no programs are open. I have tried a number of mice (all wired and all USB) and they all have the same problem.

Some of the things I have done to fix this issue include uninstalling any mice software that was on my computer and reinstalling it, doing a system restore to before the problem started, deleting most unnecessary programs to relieve stress on the computer, cleaned up my desktop (removing word, ppt, excel, and other programme files), and many other suggestions from the internet.

There are some similar posts to mine on other forums but they are dealing with older operating systems and the suggested fixes do not apply to Windows Vista.

Any help is appreciated because this is getting very annoying. Seeing a person just out of your crosshairs and not being able to aim at them is rather stressful

Back