TechSpot

Constantly freezing computer, abnormally slow speeds

By Miles1226
Aug 17, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hi there. Just yesterday my desktop started to experience random freezes and check disk errors on startup. When I do manage to get it to start, it would take for ever to open any type of program. Tolerating the sluggish computer, I tested opening few programs one at a time. Needless to say, the computer would freeze and I would have to hard reset. After Tue reset the computer would do one of 2 things. It would either go e me the check dis error or it would start up and freeze part way. Oddly enough. I have yet to get q blue screen. But I'm really irrataed about how it suddenly started being slow. My buddies said the hard drive is dying but I want to believe it is something else. It's gotten so slow I'm actually typing this from my smart phone. I hope there's some kind of fix to this. Sorry for the trouble, thanks in advance for any help.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,944   +167

Sounds like the boot hard drive is failing...

3. Miles1226

Miles1226 TS Rookie Topic Starter

So my best bet is to replace it?

4. terry5880

terry5880 TS Enthusiast Posts: 527

I agree with magic back up all your stuff and replace hard drive .have u got another one u could put windows on and try . that way u will know for sure then

5. Miles1226

Miles1226 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I have one on the way in the mail. I'd love to back everything up but its gotten to a point where I can't even get to the log in screen 9 out of 10 times.

6. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,944   +167

Okay, let us know how things work out with the new drive...

7. terry5880

terry5880 TS Enthusiast Posts: 527

If u had some serious stuff that you didnt want to lose u could take out the drive use it as external drive so you can get your stuff off ..im sure you can but magic might knowmore

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.