TechSpot

Consumer Reports: Smartphone safety is lacking

By Shawn Knight
May 1, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Smartphones may be one of the most convenient electronic gadgets in this day and age but they also pose a huge security risk as highlighted by Consumer Reports in their annual State of the Net report. The publication found that...

Read more

2. Rasta211

Rasta211 TS Enthusiast Posts: 195   +24

Anyway, to modify these app permissions? I would love a way to disable some of these permissions these apps want access to.

3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,128   +731

I wish I knew more about what risks are out there. Giving out your personal information is such a vague term it's really meaningless to me without being defined. If you visit a website you have to give that site your IP address or the server won't know who to send the reply to. Is that 'personal information?'

When I use the Gas Buddy app, I want it to know my current location so I can see gas stations near me. Is my current location 'personal information?'

The guideline from that pictures says 'Don't store private info on your phone' Yeah, I know not to make a text file full of websites with logins and passwords, but does my phone number count? Should I be deleting texts frequently... should I know have my facebook App auto login when I open it? All this stuff is pretty vague.

Cnet's article recommends deleting personal info before recycling your phone. Thanks... I'll be sure to write that down in case my common sense is ever in jeopardy.

4. avoidz

avoidz TS Maniac Posts: 454   +54

Apps require a whole load of vague permissions to even install otherwise you can't try them. It's no wonder users just click Next. The process is over-complicated.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.