Continuous beeping on startup, can boot by hitting esc, but strange behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

sherrie777

week of hell. 1st my laptop and now 2nd laptop. 1st one is doing alright with the help of this forum.
2nd laptop Info:
HP Pavilion dv9910US
Vista entertainment
3G RAM

mouse became non-responsive. It felt hot.
Shut it down. On start up got continuous beeping. Shut down. Did it again.
Finally got a hp logo and had to hit esc to get to welcome message and windows started.
I updated windows and drivers.
Now, I have to hit "esc" each for it to continue to boot.
I also, did a hard reset. Didn't help.
Also, it acts weird. Mouse keeps working, will select something, but click won't function. I have to keep disabling the touchpad to get it to work again.
Also, I installed speedfan. It didn't seem that hot.
But when typing to search in google, the "9" stuck and went on forever. Had to keep hitting the "9" and "backspace" to get it to quit.

Husband is cleaning the memory and stuff now.

Any ideas? I am in way over my head. :confused:

update: we cleaned mem sticks etc. I tested memory on startup by using BIOS
I really think now it has something to do with a stuck "9"key
because when we restarted beeping started again and I kept hitting and giggling the "9" key and it booted properly.
when the mouse would not click anymore (but still moves) I hit and giggled the "9" and mouse started functioning again.
Thank you.

So is all good now or is Key 9 still wonky? By the way, the DV9000 had massive recalls for basically the same issue as the DV6000 series: heat due to underpowered fans and design.

Hola Route44! both series...Do I know how to pick 'em. :rolleyes:
I'm gonna try to keep these guys cool! That's a real challenge since we're right near the jungle :monkey: But, I always lie down and have the laptop propped on my knees to my chest. Sounds stupid, but the air flows and the laptops stay pretty cool and doesn't hurt my back working for hours.

Anyway, Key 9 will probably go wonky again, but much better than a fried system board or something. I never saw Key 9 stick till hours later so I didn't have a clue. The continuous beeps didn't match with the BIOS beep codes for my laptop. But it is much better now. When it was doing OK, I tested by holding down a key and trying to work the mouse and it did the same way...mouse moved, but no click.

I think I will have to hit happy hour today!
When I chill out, I am going to enjoy reading this forum. I'll never learn half of it, but got to keep trying.

Thank you so much!!!

Believe it or not my daughter's laptop had a key doing the same thing (but not having your issues) and it took a can of compressed air with short burst to clean it out and now works with no issues.

By the way, I'm curious. What do you guys do right near the jungle, if you don't mind me asking?

wow, same thing. I going to find a can of comp air! I know it will stick again.

You asked what we did here near the jungle and my husband said "work on *!#!* computers"! :) No, just when they misbehave. We are next to the jungle, but it is normal here...houses, internet etc...just more like the country with dirt roads and stuff and there are squirrels AND monkeys in the trees. We lived in the US in KY. I noticed your location ;)
We moved here because we really like it and ...no politics, promise, but you might guess other reasons. It's great to vacation here if you know what it is like beforehand. If you ever want any info on CR, we'll be glad to tell you.
I guess you can PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back