Control Panel Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldd

Hey everyone!

This is my first post here and let me start by clarifying that I am completely computer illiterate but hopefully the resident experts here will be able to help me out :)

I'm having a slightly annoying problem using my "control panel". Many icons within it simply won't open claiming that "this program is in use by another application". I first noticed it today when I tried to open add/remove programs. It's alarming cuz I can't access about 85% of the applications within control panel since it always claims that it's being used by another application. I'm using windows XP.

Was wondering if there is anything I can do or if this is the result of a known virus...just anything that could possibly help :)

For any of you who do answer, if I don't respond rapidly it's simply because I only have access to the net on intermittent basis for the moment.

Thank you in advance.

Hello Idd.Welcome to Techspot.

That sounds like a spyware issue to me.

Go HERE follow the instructions,then post an HJT log in the Security and the Web forum.

All the info you need is in that link.It looks complicated,but isn`t really.

G'day Peddant,
Thank you for your advice, I unfortunately won't be able to put it into effect for a little while since I'm using a different computer to access the web right now, but I'll try it as soon as I get back to mine in a few hours. I have run NoAdware a couple times on the computer, but I'll definitly try what you suggested. :)

I tried that...before posting an HJT log, I should point out that the 'ewido' program found nothing on my computer, however one of the online scanners that were suggested did. Should I simply post the results of that scan?

Thank you :)

I`d post the HJT if I were you.

I can`t think of anything else other than spyware that would cause

the problem.I`m assuming you are the administrator of the PC

and there aren`t any policy restrictions limiting what you can do.

Even then,you wouldn`t get that error.

OK, I'll send in that one. And yes, I am the administrator. Thanx, fingers crossed.

Silverware, unfortunately I have not have time to work on it lately. But no, I have not fixed it yet sadly. I'm eventuallly just going to reformat as howard_hopkinso suggested, I'm just putting that off. First, I'll post a last HJT, but I haven't had time to yet. I've seen a couple of others with this same problem on the threads lately, and no one seems to have worked it out yet. Good luck! Let me know if you do manage to fix it please :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back