Cookies

Status
Not open for further replies.

vhawk

why do so many sites i stumble across/upon want to set cookies? generally i tell firefox to deny the request- do i do right?

your choice; the BIGGEST issue is online purchasing.

whenever you use an SSL site to make a purchase or online banking
  1. NEVER allow your browser to save the password
  2. ALWAYS quit your browser immediately after your SSL session is completed

these steps will ensure safety for your accounts.

The cookies per se ONLY allow websites to see 'where you have been',
not loss of privacy on your accounts.

If you're really concerned here, then continue to DENY ALL COOKIES.

Cookies are not executable programs. They are simple text files stored on your PC to help websites (and you) track useful user settings and non-personal information, like which advertisement you last saw (which prevents you from seeing the same ad over and over again).

This site uses cookies also. They are generally harmless. The truth is that they are not high risk problems and in most cases are actually very useful to you.

Cookies can be deletes easily:

Internet Explorer: right click on Start> explore> Cookies> click on the box to the right of word 'Folders' and choose Tiles for view. now you can see where the Cookies come from. You will have to at least enable First Party Cookies- those are from the site itself. Most sites require this. But Third Party Cookies can be either blocked or set to Prompt.

To set Cookies in IE: Internet options> Privacy> Advanced button> check 'override automatic Cookie handling'> check 'allow first party'> check 'prompt for third party'> OK> Apply OK.

If you don't selectively delete Cookies, chances are you have many> Internet Options> General tab> Delete files> Delete Cookies.

Firefox works differently: It is harder to selectively set Cookies, but easier to see and delete them: Tools> Options> Privacy tab> You can set to 'always allow' which is what I have, the choose to keep 1. until they expire, 2. until you close Firefox or 3. always ask you. I have #1, but because I call up so many sites, I check my Cookies frequently and delete.

You can also find Cookies in hidden files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back