Cool Avatars

Julio Franco

Staff member
Another of the frequently asked questions are related to Avatars.

Unlike most other bulletin boards, vBulletin will let you use and upload your own icon or animation... "Avatars are small graphical images that you may choose in your profile. They are displayed below your username on all posts that you make. You can select the image that best describes yourself from your profile options."

I have set the forum so that you can use your own avatar if you have more than 100 posts, which is pretty basic if you have been here for a while, get your post count back and customize your profile to show your own avatar.

Now guys, this is new to me, as it's to you, so...

What about posting good image and animation resources, as well as start uploading your own avatars.

Uploading your own icons! Now that's a good idea :grinthumb I have this really sweet one I want....but I have to wait until 100+ posts...hmph...

Ready to use Avatars are now available locally, enter to your profile settings and look for the avatars option. I have uploaded over 300 hand picked icons that were available previously on Jawbreaker, so if you still want to use your old icon, you can still do so :cool:

I will admit this vB thing is also new to me, I'm still getting used to it but I can tell you that so far my experience with it has been great, very easy to use, fast and it's filled with features all over it... that is, with no hacks or add-ons installed yet.

I have set up about 100 icons will be available when you register, +100 more when you pass the 50 posts mark, then +100 when you pass the 100 posts mark. About 30 of the coolest ones only available to people with over 250 posts.

I have set up custom avatars (ones you can make up yourself and upload them to the server) to be available after the 160 posts as an incentive to new and old members.

btw, I couldn't find my old Lego Avatar that I had on the Old forum :(.

ss1.

I must say i like to represent the 'maple leaf' avatars show alot about somebody, mine, shows that i... :dead:

Is there some restriction on the size of the custom avatar that can be uploaded? I tried to upload and use a 100 x 83 pixel jpg that's 2.57 KB, however the software informs me that the file is not of a permitted type.... Any suggestions???

Try using the same pixel numbers for the heighth and width, Phantasm, like 100x100 or something. ...Looks like you're going to have one heck of a big avatar :grinthumb

thanks for the suggestion, however I still get the same error.

I've tried stripping it to greyscale, and even cutting the size in half.....

Still no joy.....

Its got to be 50 x 50 pixels...
It should tell you that when you attempt to upload something bigger??? :confused:

Originally posted by Arris
Its got to be 50 x 50 pixels...
It should tell you that when you attempt to upload something bigger??? :confused:

Nope and Nope.

Whoa! I have my first 3DS problem..... And its something totally stupid!

50 x 50 jpg image...
Click use custom first then browse to the file.
Then when you have selected the file make sure that "Use Custom Avatar" is still selected.... ;)

50 x 50 jpg image...
Click use custom first then browse to the file.
Then when you have selected the file make sure that "Use Custom Avatar" is still selected.... ;)

Erm.... Yes.... That's what I did. I still get the same error message ;)

Tried it as a gif?
I manipulated my avatar in PSP7...
Are you doing yours through gimp in Linux?
I mean a jpg should be a jpg regardless but you never know what weird difference could be upsetting the forum upload software.....

Tried it as a gif?

Indeed.

I manipulated my avatar in PSP7...

Certainly. Several times.

Are you doing yours through gimp in Linux?

Nope, I've been in Bill Gates Land all the time.

I mean a jpg should be a jpg regardless but you never know what weird difference could be upsetting the forum upload software.....

:rolleyes: :eek: :confused: :confused:

!!!!

I find this most distressing...... ;)

Tried different a image?
I love process of elimination.
You will find out what is stopping you from succeeding at this simple process ;)
Is it an animated image file that is somehow exceeding file size restrictions?

Originally posted by Phantasm66

LOL!!!
Don't rub it in. I am embarrassed enough! ;)

Why don't you upload it here, so we can see what it is? Maybe then we'll figure out how you can use it...

Back