Cooler for Core i5 processor with Intel board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.

I plan to build my own computer since the DELL gx280 have given hard time to me. The i5 process would like to be my system in this time. Here is the list what I estimate on ebay (mostly)

CPU: Intel Core 2 q9400 - $190 OR i5 - $200
CPU Fan: ???
M/B: Asus P5KPL-CM - $60 OR Intel DP55WB - $100
Ram: Kingston 4gb DDR2 800mhz - $60 OR DD3 -$70
Video: ATI Radeon 4850 - $124
HDD: Western Digital 500GB 32mb, 7200 rpm - $56
DVD-RW: LG DVD-RW - $31
CASE: standard ATX Tower with 500w power - $45

I have no idea about a CPU cooler. What I heard that the CPU cooler should be different ones depends on the M/B and case.
What kinds of cooler can I use for my system? Also how am I able to firgue that out?

Thanks.

Hi hermtm2.

What exactly is your budget for the build? It seems you're compromising on the motherboard. Also, what PSU are you planning to use? Knowing your budget we may be able to suggest a better alternative.

You can take a look here for a list of HSFs that are compatible with the Core i5.

The budget will be $550 maxium. I already have a new ATX tower case with 500w power supply unite. This link will give the actual picture to you.

Thanks.

The Core i5 is much faster, but usually when u get the i5, the mobo costs a lot. I think Ritwik can explain better :)

The Core i5 is definitely better than the AMD X3 720. However, when you're looking to get an i5 system it makes sense to spend on a good motherboard. In your build, it seemed you were compromising on everything else barring the processor. The setup looked a little awkward. IMO, the specs I recommended would be a more balanced one and owing to a better graphics card, RAM and mobo might actually perform slightly better. Also, the X3 720 is a brilliant overclocker so you can get more performance out of it if you so wish.

The M/B for i5 is Intel DP55WB model. Isn't that enough to carry i5 process?
I would like to buy a M/B from gigabye or Asus but intel is not that bad right?

Thanks.

According to my knowledge the Intel motherboard will not allow you to overclock your CPU. Kind of pointless considering that the i5 750 is a gem of an overclocker. However, if you're insistent on your setup, then go ahead. Just remember that the RAM must be DDR3.

You will also be sacrificing a little gaming performance with the HD 4850 compared to the HD 4870. (But for all purposes the HD 4850 is a very good card.) The setup I recommended should outperform your system in games.

What do you mean by the gem of overclocking? Is the i5 good at overclocking?
Also what kind of cooler should I get for my system?

Thanks.

With the exception of the "Bad Axe" 975 series boards (to my knowledge), Intel does not allow its BIOS to be overclocked. It is possible that their latest and most expensive "enthusiast" level boards may permit overclocking.

More Importantly;
According to my knowledge the Intel motherboard will not allow you to overclock your CPU. Kind of pointless considering that the >>>>i5 750 is a gem of an overclocker. <<<<
To which you replied;
What do you mean by the gem of overclocking? Is the i5 good at overclocking?
Common English usage tells us that a "gem" is something of value, or something good to have, a prize possesion. This is contradicted by a sarcastic usage which sometimes carries an opposite connotation. For example, "he's a real gem", might carry the subtext signifying, "wow, that guy's a real a******".

However, Ritwit is not capable of being that duplicitous. which leads me inexorably to the question, "what's the matter, can't you read"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back