Cooler Master Cosmos II Review

Julio Franco

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/541-cooler-master-cosmos-2/]https://www.techspot.com/review/541-cooler-master-cosmos-2/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

Pretty insane case, at an insane price.
Even the D14 HSF looks small in there lol.

I have the original Cosmos S case, I still love it to pieces and would only trade it in for this case.
When I get the money (well if I have it lying around and I'm bored one day) I will be purchasing this case :)

Such a mess of cables on the other side panel hidden away, I hope that was just to show readers how to hid the mess and not a normal practice when building ;-)

The case itself is decent but the handle bars and the "fins" on the side make it look cheap and bulky something I wouldn't call elegant and minimal.

I just love this case. Unfortunately, when I was buying a case I did not have enough budget to buy a Cosmos. If I ever decide to change the cases, I'd buy that one or its next generations.

I, actually, like the handles a lot. The ones at the bottom are kind of a necessity given bottom mounted poser supply drawing air from outside the case. The ones at the top are also a must given the sheer weight. 50lbs for the case, throw in some decent parts, watercooling and you are looking at 80-100lbs easily. I want some good purchase trying to lift the machine.

Why would you want support for 13 hard drives.

Other than that, great design...although when everyone is going smaller it's probably not best to go bigger, with a design that neglects the ability to place anything on the top of the case due to the bar structure & cooling fans (Which is grounds for a noisy set-up as well). I normally won't ever spend more than $50 on a custom case unless specified by a client.

Chieftec had doors like that a decade ago, and yes, their wonderful. Their also not "suicide" style because they attach exactly like conventional car doors - with the hinge at the front. Apparently the reviewer doesn't know which end is which :/

$7.21 per pound. Almost as much as a good steak. ;)

Beauty case but looks like major overkill for 98% of users.

Chieftec had doors like that a decade ago, and yes, their wonderful. They're also not "suicide" style because they attach exactly like conventional car doors - with the hinge at the front. Apparently the reviewer doesn't know which end is which :/

Maybe the reviewer faces his case against the wall? I thought he made the comparison because suicide doors open backwards from what you'd expect, as do the doors on this case. It does seem weird.... this case will be on the floor, almost definitely against a wall, and the doors open against you? On a 75lb case? Seems like quite a failure of an othewise good idea. There's probably some design reason, but I can't guess what it would be.

Hope the spoiled rich kid gamers enjoy it. Other than that I wouldn't expect to see this thing anywhere besides some sort of "show off" style expo or convention.

Chieftec had doors like that a decade ago, and yes, their wonderful. They're also not "suicide" style because they attach exactly like conventional car doors - with the hinge at the front. Apparently the reviewer doesn't know which end is which :/

Maybe the reviewer faces his case against the wall? I thought he made the comparison because suicide doors open backwards from what you'd expect, as do the doors on this case. It does seem weird.... this case will be on the floor, almost definitely against a wall, and the doors open against you? On a 75lb case? Seems like quite a failure of an othewise good idea. There's probably some design reason, but I can't guess what it would be.

It's because you open the doors 15-20degrees and can simply lift up, and the doors come off the hinges. You simply line up 4 holes and the doors drop back on. BTW, If your case is against the wall, what exactly are you going to do when you get a regular side panel off anyway?

Hope the spoiled rich kid gamers enjoy it. Other than that I wouldn't expect to see this thing anywhere besides some sort of "show off" style expo or convention.

I am not rich, spoiled, and most certainly not a kid...and I enjoy my C2 very much.

If you're not spoiled or rich, and/or in need of a custom case for some sort of server to hold 13 hard drives...then why exactly are you spending $350 for a computer case? I'm pretty sure you can get a decent AMD Quad Core, 4-8Gb of RAM, 1TB HD set up (Including the case, power supply, mobo & DVD drive) for the same price. That's like people who put rims on their car...that cost more than the car itself.

Instead you would buy something cute to put it in. Shows how well we spend our money on important things these days ;)

Don't get me wrong. It's a beauty, IMO I'd take the beast if it means that much more under the hood.

If you're not spoiled or rich, and/or in need of a custom case for some sort of server to hold 13 hard drives...then why exactly are you spending $350 for a computer case? I'm pretty sure you can get a decent AMD Quad Core, 4-8Gb of RAM, 1TB HD set up (Including the case, power supply, mobo & DVD drive) for the same price. That's like people who put rims on their car...that cost
more than the car itself.

Instead you would buy something cute to put it in. Shows how well we spend our money on important things these days

Don't get me wrong. It's a beauty, IMO I'd take the beast if it means that much more under the hood.

My aren't we solipsistic. I see...It's the world according to you ey? While you can get a decent quad core ,4-8GB ram, and a 1TB etc,etc, that is irreverent. If you must know I do a lot of review work that has me running 4+ programs at the same time on 4 monitors, I also run programs like 3DSMax, Photoshop,video rendering software as well etc.( thats where 8 core CPU serves me well) as well as a bit of gaming @ 5760 x 1080. (that where the Quadfire and Watercooling comes in) Not to mention that this is my choice of hobby. I realize that you think we all should do what you see fit...I just don't happen to subscribe to that line of thinking.

Just received my Cosmos II yesterday. I had originally seen it at Fry's, and it was love at first sight. It's gigantic. It's beautiful. It's manly; as manly as a computer case can be.

At the heft price of $400 at Fry's several months ago, I decided to wait. Ordered it last week from www.nothingbutsoftware.com (which strangely carries a ton of hardware) for just $300 with no tax and free shipping. Free shipping on this beast was a great value!

This design is truly top notch quality and very sleek; sleek like a monster truck anyway. Honestly, it looks very nice. The pictures really do not do it justice as you can't see the quality textures used on the side panels and the heavy powder coating of the handles.

This isn't the kind of case you buy and upgrade to a whole new system in just a couple of years. I bought this case along with a top-notch 1250w OCZ power supply (rated for 11 years of constant run time). I plan on keeping these two expensive components when I will likely replace the remaining hardware in 3-5 years.

Cases have come along way since I started building my own PC's back in the early 90s. Back then I'd usually end of with lacerations all over my hands from sharp edges and half the time I had to shoe-horn hardware in place because the cases were not "square". Having a high quality case such as this is so much nicer to work with.

For all you haters of big expensive cases, look elsewhere. This thing is nearly as tall as my desk, just as deep, and twice as wide as those old school cases.

Just like Dr. Pepper 10, this is a man's case. Girly types look elsewhere.

Back