Cooler Master (PSU) GX 650W sufficient?

By thomja
May 26, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. ok so im thinking of buying a new powersupply because i later need to buy a new GOOOOOOD graphics card.... i found this one and im wondering if its enough for a GOOOOD craphics card :p and 650w is enough for me:

Cooler Master PowerSupply (PSU) GX 650W

But for some reason its extremely cheap for being 650W compared to the other ones i found.. heres some specs...

• Compliance with the latest Intel standard ATX 12V V 2.31
    • Single +12V rail for the most demanding SLI configurations
    • High efficiency design that meets 80 Plus requirements (85% typical)
    • Ultra-silent operation with intelligent 120mm fan speed control
    • Multiple protection design (OVP / UVP / OPP / OTP / SCP)
    • High reliability (MTBF>100,000 hours)
    • Double Layer EMI Filter restrains noise and injury to end-user
    • Huge bulk capacitor for hold up time >17ms at full loading
    • Integrating Active PFC with PWM combo controller not only make PFC higher than 0.99, but also raises efficiency
    • Efficient transformer for reducing 5Vsb power loss when the system is at turn-off and sleep modes

Why so cheap???

and another thing is... will it fit in my HP p6341sc computer?
    Here is its hardware website with computer information: p6341sc&product=4119566&key=null

thank you for any help provided :)
  2. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 3,797   +116

Should fit fine, but there might be better PSUs, and you might not need so much power either.

Can't comment on why its cheap, but where are you located, and what is your budget?

Also, what graphics card are you wanting to power from it?
  3. thomja

thomja TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 87

what u mean by better PSUs? and i need enough power for a good graphics card... a card that can run crysis both 1 and 2 + futher games without any problems on highest

btw im from sweden and i wont buy anything from neweggs.. only swedish stores
  4. Leeky

Neither do I, as from the UK myself. :)

600-700w is more than enough with plenty of room to spare on all but the most powerful of graphics cards, but it depends what your future plans are, and what GPUs you wish to run. It might actually be overkill.
  5. thomja

but itll work right? since thats the only thing i need now i only got a 300W power supply D:
  6. Leeky

Well yeah, but yet again, why 650w, and what graphic card are you wanting to run?

Your asking me to blanket answer a question when I have no idea what GPU you plan to use. I NEED to know what graphics card.
  7. thomja

i was thinking about a

MSI GeForce GTX 560Ti 1GB PhysX

or something similar
  8. Leeky

650w will be more than ample power for that sort of graphics card.
  9. thomja

but i might buy a new one later so who knows :p But the big qeustion is... Do you think that the power supply is good and worth the money? since it only costs 65 pounds
  10. Leeky

This review of the PSU is disturbing tbh:

Scan to last page (9) to read conclusion if you don't want to read the whole thing.

I would spend more personally. If it was me, I would consider the following:

Its hard to say for certain what you should use as I don't know what prices are like in Sweden, as they will differ from the UK.

I'd need to know your max budget in local currency and a link to a store you'd purchase from to see if we can find something better.
  11. thomja

ook so then i wont get that power supply

but my budget is around 75 pounds and i hope its enough.. im purchasing my stuff on a swedish website

but how about this one

Fractal Design Tesla 550W 80 PLUS

u think its good?

and tbh i dont think that the prices in UK differs so much from the price in sweden

if u want u can go to and translate that site to english and go to the PSU section then u can look and try to find something if u want and give me some recommendations

thanks for the help <3
  12. thomja

ive seen some reviews and most people say that its really good... hope its the one :) and will it fit in my computer chassi? i dont know how to count that out
  13. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

google psu calculator. Add 30% to the results.