TechSpot

Copying DVDs

By chocobogo_rct
Oct 17, 2002
  1. Hi, I have a CD+RW drive and I was wondering what if any is the best software for copying DVD movies? I have Easy CD Creator 5 which I use to write data DVDs but I cant see a copy DVD function,
    The drive is a combi drive so I dont have a separate DVD drive?
    Is there a program that will make a stright copy or do I need to rip the movie off the DVD then write a DVD Video disc?

Cheers

2. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,802

There is afaik no easy feature in Easy CD Creator, nor Nero to simply copy DVD's...

And even if it was, you'd have a little problem...

The fact that your drive is a combo DVD/CD-RW... Had it been a DVD-RAM, you could possible have been able to copy a dvd, but as it'll only write to cd's, you'll find yourself strapped for space before you're half way through the burning process...

A DVD can store 4.6 GB and upwards, whereas a CD usually maxes out around 800mb...

Your only choice here would be to rip the movie, compress it (SVCD, VCD or DivX), and then burn it...

However, I will not tell you how to do this, as it would be illegal...
    And TechSpot does not condone Piracy

.02$

3. RustyZip

RustyZip TechSpot Paladin Posts: 418

The only way to get DVD movies on a CD-R or CD-RW is to compress the movie, into say a VCD or similar that can be used in your CD combo drive or DVD Player...

It can get quite complicated....

Take a look at:-
    www.vcdhelp.com

Its an excellent site, with detailed guides, tutorials and how to's. It also tells you the best software to use...

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.