Copying one HD to Another

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnorth

Hi all,
I know this is a 'simple' question but could i ask some advice before i start copying files.

I am getting a new HD which will be used as my new boot drive and system drive.
Is it just a case of installing the drive and copying the existing 'C' drive to the new one, with windows explorer ? or is there a program that will move all the info across ? Then removing the old 'C' drive and bios the new one as the boot drive ?

The drives are SATA and os being Vista.

Mnay thanks
Rag

If you're planning on trying to totally replace your current HDD and boot off the new one as if it were the old one, you'll need to image the drive. You can't just copy everything via Windows Explorer. Now, if you just want music or something transfered from the old drive to the new one, that can be done via Windows Explorer.

There are plenty of third party applications that will let you image one drive to another, not sure which ones are free though.

Many thanks. Yep i plan to replace the existing with the new one.
I will search for an imaging app, unless anyone can recommend..

Cheers
Rag

Bigger hard drive makers provide cloning tools for use with their drives. What make is your new hard drive?

Go to Seagate's website and download and install DiscWizard for Windows... Use the CLONE option and follow the on-screen instructions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back