Core 2 Duo Heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

I just built a new PC and am awaiting the parts, but I had a lingering question. I have heard that for those who are planning on running a NON OVERCLOCKED Core 2 Duo, that it was not necessary to go out and get a new heatsink, because the stock heatsink actually performs well. Should I go out and get a heatsink if I don't plan on overclocking my PC ? I will list the specs below. Please let me know so I don't burn my new processor.

The specs:

Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe
Motherboard : ASUS P5L-VM 1394
Video Card : BFG Tech BFGR76256GTOCE GeForce 7600GT
Memory : CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667
Hard Drive : Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB
Case : COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW
Power Supply : THERMALTAKE TR2 500W

I think my cooling should be fine, as I won't have too much going on, but let me know what you think.

Default fans work ok but the third party super fancy ones work great its up to u if u want ur computer to be a lil bit more free persay cauz it wouldnt heat up as much

the stock in idle temps can be from 40-50C the fancy fans can go down to 25ish -35ish (depends how good the heat sink and fan are)

hi mofo91105,

stock heatsink/fans (HSF) are always good enough to cool the CPU that they ship with. after all, Intel is not going to include a HSF that doesn't work (especially if they require you use it to maintain your CPU warranty ;)). that being said, since you aren't going to O/C your CPU, the only other reason one might have for replacing the stock HSF is get a quieter one.

If installed right, the stock cooler will work just fine. since you aren't going to O/C your system, I would try out the stock HSF first before spending any money on an aftermarket cooler.

cheers :wave:

Intel is not going to include a HSF that doesn't work

Actually, yeh, they will. They have tons of complaints about their core 2 duo heat sinks. They don't tight down enough on some motherboards, and the cpu reached to 80+ Celsius. I have known 3 people personally that have had this problem, and i myself had this problem, and after rmaing 2 mobo's thinking it was the temp sensor on the mobo, i went out and bought a zalman hsf and it solved the problem.

If they don't fit properly its not intel's fault, its the motherboard manufacturer being a little off on the standards then. I've built a core 2 duo system and a pentium d system with the stock heatsinks and not had a problem with the temps if they are installed properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back