TechSpot

Core 2 Duo Heatsink

By mofo91105
Jan 25, 2007
  1. Hey,

I just built a new PC and am awaiting the parts, but I had a lingering question. I have heard that for those who are planning on running a NON OVERCLOCKED Core 2 Duo, that it was not necessary to go out and get a new heatsink, because the stock heatsink actually performs well. Should I go out and get a heatsink if I don't plan on overclocking my PC ? I will list the specs below. Please let me know so I don't burn my new processor.

The specs:

Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe
    Motherboard : ASUS P5L-VM 1394
    Video Card : BFG Tech BFGR76256GTOCE GeForce 7600GT
    Memory : CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667
    Hard Drive : Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB
    Case : COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW
    Power Supply : THERMALTAKE TR2 500W

I think my cooling should be fine, as I won't have too much going on, but let me know what you think.

2. DeepMartin

DeepMartin TS Rookie Posts: 89

Default fans work ok but the third party super fancy ones work great its up to u if u want ur computer to be a lil bit more free persay cauz it wouldnt heat up as much

the stock in idle temps can be from 40-50C the fancy fans can go down to 25ish -35ish (depends how good the heat sink and fan are)

3. KingCody

KingCody TS Guru Posts: 1,568   +7

hi mofo91105,

stock heatsink/fans (HSF) are always good enough to cool the CPU that they ship with. after all, Intel is not going to include a HSF that doesn't work (especially if they require you use it to maintain your CPU warranty ;)). that being said, since you aren't going to O/C your CPU, the only other reason one might have for replacing the stock HSF is get a quieter one.

If installed right, the stock cooler will work just fine. since you aren't going to O/C your system, I would try out the stock HSF first before spending any money on an aftermarket cooler.

cheers :wave:

4. twite

twite TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,083

Actually, yeh, they will. They have tons of complaints about their core 2 duo heat sinks. They don't tight down enough on some motherboards, and the cpu reached to 80+ Celsius. I have known 3 people personally that have had this problem, and i myself had this problem, and after rmaing 2 mobo's thinking it was the temp sensor on the mobo, i went out and bought a zalman hsf and it solved the problem.

5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,623   +320

If they don't fit properly its not intel's fault, its the motherboard manufacturer being a little off on the standards then. I've built a core 2 duo system and a pentium d system with the stock heatsinks and not had a problem with the temps if they are installed properly.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.