TechSpot

Corner of laptop monitor overheating

By treeski
Jan 3, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey all,
    I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 and I am having an issue with the monitor. Yesterday the bottom right hand corner of the monitor (not the corner of the screen) got extremely hot. If I left my finger on the corner, it would have burned me. Consequently the very corner of the screen is damaged (probably permanently), though not so much that I can't live with.

At this point, I'm hesitant to even turn on the computer (I'm using another one at the moment). Anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed with this situation, or as to what the cause may be?

Thanks much
  2. Nigitnut

Nigitnut TS Rookie

Sounds like a problem with the screen inverter overheating.
  3. treeski

treeski TS Guru Topic Starter Posts: 875   +130

Thanks, I'll look into it.
  4. aza

aza TS Rookie

Im having problems with my CD-ROM and DVD-ROM drives. they are both not recognizing any DVD'S but my cd's still work. My dvd drive is a SAMSUNG SD-616E
  5. Nigitnut

Nigitnut TS Rookie

Do you mean your dvd drive won't play dvd's or doesn't know they are there?
  6. aza

aza TS Rookie

it doesnt play any and it doesnt recognise there is a disk in the drive

also i tried to upgrade the firmware but it says that i already have the best possible update. and when i uninstall then reinstall from device manager but that does nothing
  7. Nigitnut

Nigitnut TS Rookie

The dvd drive is faulty. Take it out and try another one, you might be lucky in that your operating system will have the necessary drivers already and will automatically install them for you.
    Check whether the drive is set to master or slave and set the new one the same.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.