TechSpot

Corning to showcase Gorilla Glass 2 at CES 2012

By Shawn Knight
Jan 6, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Corning Incorporated has announced intentions to showcase their next-generation of ultra durable Gorilla Glass at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas next week. Corning has enjoyed tremendous success with…

Read the whole story
  2. Gorilla Glass was used on smart phones long before Steve Jobbs brought the idea forward. The original DROID was a Gorilla Glass product, but was not advertised as such.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_devices_with_Gorilla_Glass
  3. Jos

Jos TechSpot Staff Posts: 2,078   +64 Staff Member

I'm not sure (and don't really care) who was the first to use Gorilla Glass but the original DROID you mention was released in 2009. Apple's first iPhone was released in 2007.
  4. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,716

Clearly they haven't. Reports of the iPhone 4/4S screen fragility are higher than almost any other smartphone on the market.
  5. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TS Maniac Posts: 431   +8

You guys may find this funny, but my Motorola Rokr Slide Up phone had a VERY scratch resistant screen. After 4 years of owning the thing and beating the hell out of it on a daily basis, the screen had VERY faint scratches on it. Basically, I've seen more scratches on iPhones than I did on that phone. Still wonder what type of screen it was.
  6. Yep, I still have a motorola rokr E8 for 3 years now and not a single scratch on it. I wonder what kind of glass/plastic is that.
  7. Mamoon69

Mamoon69 TS Rookie Posts: 17

Sure they haven't, watch a drop test comparison between iPhone 4S vs Samsung Galaxy 2S where the latter implementing Corning's technology:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elKxgsrJFhw

It seems that the author of this article is an iPhone fan. It is not hard to figure out that Apple is not using Gorilla Glass nowadays.
  8. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,716

Jesus. The front of the 4S was obliterated.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.