TechSpot

Correct mobo for CPU!

By Qmark
Dec 17, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Hi guys , i just wanted to make sure that i am Buying right thing that will fully provide me ! since this Mobo has No onboard card it will be Greater option because i will run 6870 on it & i dont want any other ADDITIONAL thing on it ! & i want this mobo to let 6870 & phenom 965 BE , be fully Unlocked & do 100% great with no Bottleneck & great road for Speed Transfer from whole hardwares !

the mobo is : AMD 890 FX

i found this one too : ASRock 890FX DELUXE3 , but since ASROCK doesnt make High Quality mobos then i am not sure it will be great option ! greater than AMD 890 FX !

2. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,533   +48

One good home run website i use for this sort of thing is this one:

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/index.html

Just input your board and it gives you the processors that are compatible.

3. Qmark

Qmark TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks a lot my friend ! whats your opinion

4. Qmark

oh man it doesnt accept the Word given from me ! i cant get what i want ! any other URL ?

5. Benny26

6. Qmark

Oh man its seem that no GIGA mobo support i5 760 , they support i5 750 & 750S , but i found ASUS mobo that supports 760 , but i saw a guy that had installed i5 760 on GA P55A UD3 ( which doesnt support i5 760 , it only support i5 750 & 750S ) but in specification it mentioned i5 series , & then he Could run i5 760 on that mobo ,

so can you say whats wrong here ?

7. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

The 890FX is an AMD-only chipset, so it doesn't support Intel CPUs. You'd need an H55 or a P55 chipset motherboard to run an i5 chip.

Also, CPU support varies depending on BIOS versions.

I'd recommend the Gigabyte GA-P55 and the MSI P55 motherboards.

8. Benny26

I was thinking you wanted support for an AMD Phenom 965, because thats what you said in your opening post right?

Anyways, i agree with Rage_3K_Moiz. The Gigabyte P55's are top boards...It's what i'll probably be gunning for in the future i think, one of them.

9. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,693   +1,882

The first thing that crossed my mind when i read this thread was this, "WTF is this guy talking about"? That said, the "first responders" deserve credit for being able to decipher a bunch of gibberish.

Well my sentiments lean toward the OP buying the AMD board, and installing the i5-760 with a ball peen hammer.

Lacking the initiative for that, try reading this page at Gigabyte; http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=3439 Plainly stated is that the Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 supports the Core i5-760, provided the BIOS version is F-8, (or better).

10. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 3,797   +116

:haha:

The not so good part is the mouthful of tea on my keyboard now.. I should learn to read your posts before drinking anything!! :(

11. Qmark

But when i was searching in P55 mobos i saw that all of them Support i5 series , & i saw in the List that i5 750 & i5 750S is max that these mobos can support from i5 series , so i5 760 is not in list !

what can i do ?

i choosed GA P55A UD3 & GA p55 Usb3

non of them have i5 760 in theire list !

i want CPU on Mobo with no OC , flashing Problems & troubles . so give me right dirrection !

12. Leeky

Please??????

The i5 core 760 is a relatively new CPU, and replaces the i5 Core 750. Its possible that the motherboard manufacturers haven't updated the approved CPU lists yet. I would suggest choosing a couple you like, and then contacting them to find out if support is offered or not for the i5 core 760.

13. Qmark

14. Leeky

You need to be checking the motherboard manufacturers CPU support list!

15. Benny26

Ok, just to scrape my small reputation up here.

I gave that link (cpu-upgrade) because i thought you we're talking about a Phenom ( roughly 2 year old processor). The guy who runs that site obviously ain't as fast to update it as Gigabyte or whatever, it's mainly for use with oldish boards and processors.

I think now that special forces have moved in, i might get the hell outa here. lol :wave::D

16. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

The Gigabyte site is what you should trust, since they're bound to have a more up-to-date compatibility list.

17. Qmark

oh ya thanks a lot bros !