Corrupt ntfs.sys and data loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, new to TechSpot and message boards in general. I have been reading threads, threads, and more threads and are finding some answers, thanks.

One answer I have not found, here, Microsoft, or anywhere on the web:

If I replace the ntfs.sys file under Windows XP Pro, will I lose my documents, pictures, etc.?

I can boot my computer with the installation disk to the point of entering the recovery console only. Safe Mode and plain "turn on the computer" boot both give me the message:

Missing or corrupt file: ntsf.sys

In recovery console, I can get directories for all my drives and directories. And I see that the ntsf.sys file is not missing. I assume that it is corrupt. But before replacing it, I NEED to know if this will lose me my data files.

Thanks in advance.

when in the recover console, you should type at the C:\ prompt, CHKDSK, This will check the disk and repair it. Then reboot. If not, you could take your hard drive out, put it into a different computer as a "Secondary" drive. this way you can pull your files off, back them up to disk and then reformat the drive when it is back in your computer. But run the chkdsk first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back