TechSpot

Corrupt playback

By bman2005
Dec 30, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Afternoon all-

I am completely stumped on this one.
    Last night I go to play a .mp3 from my library collection. I double click the song, Windows Media Player opens up and the track actually play is the last 3 mins of the previous song in the directory.

I go through my 400gb library and come to find out, about 75% of the library is corrupt in this same sort of fashion. The played is either the track before or of a completely different artist.

I don't know when this occured which is an interesting indicator of how often I actually visit my local library for music now a days but I certainly don't want to lose it either. To complicate this matter, I and checking my backup of the library but I have a hunch that these files will also be corrupt as the source during backup would have been corrupts as well.

I don't know how the corruption could be so clean as to be of by 3/4 of a track.. or play at all. I was hit by a trojan last spring which I cleaned up fine enough. However, I don't think that it's related. I think it's more likely some partition work I tackled last spring that might have corrupted the whole thing.

I just don't see how the header tags could all be off. Could this be a MFT issue? I just don't really know how to solve this problem, what have caused this or potential fixes before I drop the entire collection and become a Spotify user for life.

Any suggestions? Ever see this?

Win7 64 bit
    Occurs on any music player of choice (WM, Real Audio, iTunes, Winamp etc)
    Has impact 3/4 of the folder structures.... the other 25% seem to all be correct and pointing to the correct track of music.

Looking for suggestions to try-
    Thanks

Benjamin.

2. Buckshot420

Buckshot420 TS Enthusiast Posts: 467

If its external, unplug both usb and power from HDD. Wait a minute and plug back in. Let me know if it works. Your drive may be on the end of it's life.

3. bman2005

bman2005 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 56

This is an internal WD - Black (640gb).
    Chkdsk is good (scans it however in like 10 seconds which concerns me).
    3 partitions on this drive and all appear fine.

I also checked sectors and there are no bad one.

Thanks for the suggestions - any more?

Perhaps this occured with my original Asus P8P67 board before they were recalled (using one of the bad SATA ports).
    I just cant believe its half working. Usually corruption is all or nothing.

It should be noted, I have copied a test track to a different machine and a MAC... same results so it's certainly pulling the wrong data / sectors. Which makes my offsite backup doubtful. Being "incremental" may be my only saving grace.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.