Corsair announces DDR2 modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
Corsair Memory, Inc. today announced their new XMS2 family of xtreme performance DDR2 memory modules.
The first product in this family is the Twin2X1024-4300, a matched pair of 512MB 533MHz 240-pin DDR2 modules. This product has been tested extensively on several different DDR2-based motherboards and is expected to be 100% compatible with the newest DDR2 chipsets and motherboards.

As a side note, the first batch of DDR2 supporting motherboards are not expected until March/April this year, and in case you were wondering, DDR2 is not backwards compatible either.

So what kind of perfromance increases can we expect from ddr2? Are they going to be substantial or just minimal at first? Percentage wise?

Latencies from the first batch of DDR-II will be greater then DDR-I. We're talking about 6/7 where today we have 2/2.5. There won't be an performance increase ( if we're lucky enough not to actually notice a performance decrease ) & it will be quite expensive.

I believe AMD won't support it in the K8 line of CPUs before 4th Q' 04 or even 1st Q' 05 but Intel will be using it as soon as it gets released.

CAS 6&7?!?!?!?! man thats slow. this is supposed to be NEW technology? i havent seen that high latency since... EDO???

Corsair announced CAS 4 timings for its DDR-II modules. Not as bad as I thought but still quite slower then DDR-I.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back