Corsair HX650 or HX750? Radeon 6870 CrossFire

nissanman

Hi all, I am building a new computer and have already got the Case, Motherboard, Hard Drive, DVD writer, CPU cooler, Neons and i am waiting on the RAM.

Next i plan to buy the Power Supply. But i am stuck on which one to buy. The Corsair HX650 or the HX750. I plan to overclock this new system as high as i possibly can.

The final specs will be:

AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H Motherboard
4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 RAM
1TB Samsung SpinPoint F3 HDD
2x HIS Radeon HD 6870 video cards
NZXT M59 Case

2 sets of cold cathodes are going into this system. 2 red ones and 2 blue ones.

So will the HX650 power this system fine. Or will i be better off getting the HX750, which is only $60NZ more then the 650.

Cheers, Nathan.

I had the same dilemma a couple of weeks ago, but in the end I went for the HX750w purely because it offers more headroom and to me made sense with my mildly overclocked cpu.

I had no idea the 6870 could only be run as 2xCF though! Bang goes my idea to get one, then another, then another! :haha:

I had the same dilemma a couple of weeks ago, but in the end I went for the HX750w purely because it offers more headroom and to me made sense with my mildly overclocked cpu.

I had no idea the 6870 could only be run as 2xCF though! Bang goes my idea to get one, then another, then another! :haha:

...well, you could do another , another....just not the 'get one' part...I mean.. wait no...oh nevermind!

i would get the 750 as well, but the bench they did here is using a heavily OC'd i7 965, so he would be okay. Actually with 52A he could get 'another another if the 6870 would crossfire two anothers...right then.

If you haven't bought the HX650W already, the XFX P1-650X-CAH9 is available on Newegg for $60 after an MIR and $5 shipping. A damn-good bargain, if I ever saw one! Same specs as the 650HX, for significantly cheaper.

I personally would go with the HX750 Nathan like the others, then again I rather play it safe and have the extra headroom :D.

@Rage Ya the deal on the XFX PSU is awesome, but I'm pretty sure he lives in NZ. XFX has quality video cards, curious to know if they are the same with PSUs.

Ah right. That sucks. :(

The XFX is a Seasonic build; on-par with the Corsair when it comes to build quality and performance.

...well, you could do another , another....just not the 'get one' part...I mean.. wait no...oh nevermind!

So you can run them in pairs?

e.g. 4x CF works, but 3x CF doesn't?

I thought it was just Nvidia GPUs that could only run in a max of pairs, and AMD GPUs could run in 2x/3x/4x CF - Or is it in fact GPU dependant and nothing to do with being SLI/CF at all?

Can only run 2 6870's together as there is no provision for two crossfire bridges.
I just bought 2 of these myself but went for the HX850 for a little headroom.
Recommended psu for my system overclocked was around 750watt.

Also depends on the motherboard as to if you can crossfire/SLi.

Ive already got the HX650w. I use to have the TX650 but i had to send it back as it was faulty, causing my system to lock up with the cathodes switched on. Only had to pay an extra 10 dollars for the HX650. I RMA'd it through the store i bought it from, rather then going through Corsair.

I guess ill just try two 6870's and see what happens. I was planning to get 5850's but with the 6870's using slightly less power, being slightly faster and only costing about 20 dollars more. I think its a more logical choice to get two 6870's.

I guess that if i find the system struggling. Ill sell the 650 and upgrade to the 750. Or maybe even the HX850. But probably the HX750..

Back