Corsair HX650W PSU enough for Radeon HD5850's in Crossfire?

nissanman

Hi all.

I am currently saving to build a new computer. Originally i was planning on getting two Radeon 5770's using the Corsair HX650W power supply. But now i am thinking about getting just one 5850 for now, and then getting another 5850 and running 2 in crossfire in the future.

My question is very simple. Will the Corsair HX650W Power Supply be enough to power 2 radeon 5850's?

I am also planning on getting an AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU, 4GB of DDR3 1600 memory and 1, 1TB hard drive.

So thats pretty much it really. Should the HX650W be sufficient for this setup?

Cheers.

You should be fine. AMD's recommendation is a 600w PSU for that setup. That recommendation is based on the fact that not all PSU's are created equal, so they err on the side of caution just in case some people use an "off-brand" <70% efficency unit.
Dual HD 5850's will generally use a maximum of 300w, so unless you are planning on a very substantial overclock of both cards and CPU, you should be fine as the Corsair is a very good quality PSU.

Thanks for your reply.

Looks like the HX650 is up to the job then, so i dont have to spend any more on a better psu. :)

what about if i plan to overclock? I am planning to Overclock both the video cards and CPU as high as i can get them. I have already built the system, except i am still running on the IGP until i get my 2 XFX 5850's. I am using the TX650w at the moment so i do have to switch the PSU for dual 5850's as this does not have enough PCIE Plugs. So with heavy overclocking in mind, will the HX650w still cut it? Or should i get the HX750?

Thanks.

Back