Corsair intros 2250MHz Dominator GTX DDR3 modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Corsair is no stranger to the world of premium, high-performance DDR3 RAM. Their Dominator line has long been the memory of choice for many PC enthusiasts and gamers alike, and now they are looking to cement their position in this market with a new GTX variant capable of operating at a staggering 2,250MHz, with latencies of 8-8-8-24 and within the 1.65V threshold required by Core i5 and i7 systems.

The company achieved these numbers using a two-module configuration on an Intel P55 system. Going for a triple channel setup on an X58 system will involve stepping down the clock speed to 2,133MHz, which is still on par with some of the fastest modules in the market today. The Dominator GTX modules will also operate at up to 1800MHz with 6-6-6-18 latencies on Socket AM3 motherboards for AMD Phenom II processors.

They will feature a "unique DHX+ heatsink" with extra-tall cooling fins, and rather than being offered in kits, Corsair will sell these modules individually from its online store starting next week. The company made no mention of pricing, but of course you can expect them to come with a hefty premium.

Permalink to story.

lol is this a joke who need 2250 mhz ram? get some 1600 and call it good there is almost no difference in speed what so ever.

I almost forgot about that review..thanks compdata
yea after a certain point..such clock speed and latency doesn't affect performance at all

I bet most people who buy this won't even be able to overclock their system to actually reach that maximum speed and keep it stable. Waste of money as far as I'm concerned.

nice speed bump thought current core i7 really does not beneift from such high ram spee duntil you start to oc. I wonder when will we see ddr4 or ddr5:)

Holy cow!! Isnt that a bit.. too much? I have corsair dominator myself (the 1600 fanless model) and i will be clocking them to 2000 mhz as soon as i get a fan, but 2250Mhz? i cant see any software which could use the potential of that.. I mean some programs hardly use up a 1333...

It seems that the memory manufacturers are reaching a peak in memory speed, specifically due to limits on voltage... I'm sure they have some crazy ideas under their belt, I'm interested to see where they go next...

well i wont judge this before i buy it , i was speculativ when i bought my dominator ddr2 with 1066 V but now i see the difference between that and cheaper 800 mhz ram , if ill ever up my mobo to Asus Maximus 2 then ill probably buy this

Wow, 2250MHz, that is just crazy fast! I have to agree with many of the other posters in saying it's a bit overkill and probably will not make much (if any) difference performance wise over the 1600MHz or 1800MHz ram.

Lol I love reading peoples reaction to thsi ZOMG who would ever need that much speedz!!! People were saying the same thing back when 1ghz processors were coming out and now we have intel releasing a 48 core processor...
Yes this is fast and beyond software capabilities at the moment, give it two to three years and people will be like, meh that's normal.

Come on that is insane more than 2000 Mhz? that is something to see, my system still runs on DDR2 at 800 MHz and it runs ok, what makes the difference is the amount of ram you have in your system, i dont think it is necessary but I would surery be happy to get a pair of these :)

the memory bandwidth on these is probably really nice hard to believe that ram speed is approaching the speed of a cpu. this is probably a great set of ram but i think its kinda impractical its more of a bragging rights thing than anything.

the computer industry needs to change the way they make computers.
we are only improving on old technology when we should invent new technology.
thats why we see pointless hardware with no real use.

compdata said:
Check out Techspots review on RAM https://www.techspot.com/article/131-intel-corei7-memory-performance/ They did an excellent job showing that RAM speed has almost not effect on performance for almost all applications. Spend your money elsewhere!

yup, other tech sites did similar RAM roundups, and the results were the same too - go for 1600 to at least be able to increment the base clock to 200. because it yields more to OC the CPU rather than the memory.

I think this is a little overkill for current systems and won't result in a noticeable boost. It would be nice if corsair would get some 1.35v memory out and focus on power savings too for part of their lineup. G.skill has couple of 1.35v modules out, but haven't seen any reviews yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back