Could anyone recommend a graphics card?

1. Hi.

I really want to play a game on my pc shogun 2 but I don't have a graphics card that will run this game. So please could anyone recommend me a a graphics card that will run shogun 2 smoothly and under £100. My PC's specifications are as follows:

Dell inspiron 530
    Windows vista home premium
    3.00GB RAM
    Intel core 2 duo 2.20GHz
    32-bit OS

I will be grateful for any recommendations or advice.

Thank you.
  2. Captain828

Captain828 TechSpot Guru Posts: 277

Found this AMD Radeon 6850 for ~£100. This is probably the best bang for the buck at this price segment.

You might however consider getting a better power supply, as the minimum PSU requirement is 500W for that GPU.
    According to this your PC has a 300W PSU.

Here's a good PSU for ~£60.
    Alternatively, any no-name 600W PSU should suffice, but I don't recommend that.
  3. TurkishDelight

TurkishDelight Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks for that really appreciate it. But I think that it might be a bit too much as I don't want to pay more than I have to. Also I upgraded my PSU a couple of days ago to 500W (cool master). I am not looking to play games such as battlefield 3 or fifa 12 as I have my xbox for that. I just need a decent card that will run shogun 2 smoothly. If there is any other recommendations you could make I will be very grateful.

Thank you.
  4. Captain828

This is a tad cheaper, at ~£82.
    The nVidia alternative would be the GTX 550Ti, but that's a bit more expensive.
  5. TurkishDelight

Thank you.

So are you sure that this card will run shogun 2 smoothly?
  6. Captain828

A friend of mine has an Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM and a nVidia GTS250, and he had absolutely no problems playing the game with me on MP.

While you have a slightly slower CPU than him, that shouldn't make much of a difference.
    GPU-wise, the Radeon HD 6670 is ~2x better than his GPU.
    Also, your extra gig of RAM should come in handy during extended gaming sessions.

Besides that, it will lag a bit during heavy land battles (especially if you zoom in) since the game recommends a quad core CPU, but nothing game-breaking.
  7. TurkishDelight

Oh wow that's great. So what card would be better. The one that he has or that one you've recommended me?

Also I found what I think is exactly the same card as what you've recommended but cheaper. But I can't post a link yet as I need to post more before I can post a URL.
  8. TurkishDelight

Also it says that the card is windows 7 compatible does that mean that it will also work with windows vista?
  9. TurkishDelight

Here is that card that I was talking about earlier that looks exactly the same as the one that you recommended but cheaper. Could you check that it really is the exact same.

Thank you.
  10. Captain828

Yup, same card.
    Works with all Windows versions.
  11. TurkishDelight

Thanks a lot. As soon as I get the rest of the money together it's going to be ordered. Finally going to be able to play the game instead of watching a ton of videos.

Thanks a lot much appreciated.
  12. Captain828

Not a problem.

Let me know how it went after you've got everything running.
  13. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.