Could you use a laptop as desktop?

som1dies2nite

I'd like to know if it will overheat or will it become very sluggish if I use a laptop as a desktop. Right now I have a D630 and can get a Dell M90 to replace my desktop. thanks.

Yes you can

You can plug in a Desktop Monitor and external Keyboard and Mouse
Or even use a Docking Station (which you just plug the Laptop into , and all the externals are already connected to it)

Laptops do run warmer than Desktops though (ie only a little fan in them)
So if you plan to have the Laptop always running as a Desktop, then it might be wisest to purchase an actual Desktop computer

The idea of a laptop is for mobility

Yep, you can do it as kimsland said and with docking stations you can run with the lid closed and use a real kb/mouse.

But its a terrible way to do things. Take a high end $2000-3000 laptop computer, and I'm pretty sure you can build that same thing as a desktop for $800 or less.

My main home computer is a laptop that I have an external keyboard, monitor and mouse hooked up to. Works just like a desktop and, when necessary, it gives me all of the advantages of a laptop. Of course, it cost much more than a desktop with the same RAMm CPU, etc., but it also takes up less space in my office.

You can use a laptop as a desktop, but not for as long.
Most laptops, except for the IBM and Lenovo Thinkpads, and a very few of the high end HP laptops do not last as long. Meantime between failures is significantly worse for laptops than desktops. Why? More heat in the case, primarily, and components such as LCD screen that burn out earlier.
A desktop should last 7 to 10 years with an annual cleaning, replacement of the CPU fan and CMOS battery, and perhaps a new hard drive every four or five years.
In that same time, a laptop will likely need a hard drive, a new cpu cooler, a screen inverter, and a CMOS battery every three years, and a keyboard every four years.
The expense of maintaining a laptop is three times as high for the same number of years as is a desktop.

Desktops are on the way out anyway
These big fat boxes will be laughed at by future generations (they look funny already)

I agree. I have three of the new solid state drives in my Thinkpads and Mac Book Pro, for evaluative purposes. These drives will make the difference, and make desktops unnecessary... They use so much less power and general very little heat. The issues of high temperatures will soon be forgotten and within two years, you will be able to get a 250 GB solid state laptop drive for $50... or a 500 GB for $100.
Memory has gotten cheaper, and 8 GB will be the norm... or perhaps 10 GB if they can figger a way to use it.
But for now, laptops do not hold up... not the kind college kids and housewives can afford.

Snow Leopard and presumably Windows 7 will better utilize the advantages of SSD as well. I don't know a whole lot about this area, but I remember reading that current OSes were designed to maximize the performance of the spinning hard drives, so they are optimized for them, and SSD drives running with those same optimizations are not performing as fast as they could. Basically those optimizations for spinning hard drives actually hamper SSD drives.

I don't think desktops are going away though, for at least the next several years you will be able to get faster hardware for desktops much cheaper. Laptops as Raybay noted earlier just can't dissipate the heat as well, I'm not sure we'll ever see a time where hardware can be made as good with minimal heat... like all things equal except heat and power, if you have that freedom to produce a lot of heat and use a lot of power you can have better performing hardware.

Not sure if any of that made sense, I'm trying to watch the Olympics and make a post that required me to think at the same time.

Back